GROUPS

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/GROUPS

Polarix(Posted 2016) [#1]
Is it possible in Blitz3D so I can only use 1 name for all the cubes I'm making and not have to name each individual one???

thanks

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#2]
Yeah, like this. You can give them whichever name you choose, in this case I named them as cubeList.

Graphics3D(800, 600)
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

Dim cubeList(10)

For i = 0 To 9
	cubeList(i) = CreateCube()
	PositionEntity cubeList(i), -25 + (i * 5), 0, 50
	RotateEntity cubeList(i), 45, 45, 45

Next

camera = CreateCamera()
light = CreateLight()

Repeat
	Cls

UpdateWorld()
	RenderWorld()
	Flip()

Until KeyDown(1)
End

Zethrax(Posted 2016) [#3]
You've got arrays. You've got custom types (linked lists). You've got banks (the entity handle is an integer, so store it in that format).

You've also got the manual that came with the program (you can find it via the 'Help' tab in the program's editor (IDE)) which answers all these questions for you.

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#4]
And there's also what Zethrax just said ^, banks are a good thing to play around with. ;)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2016) [#5]
Something like this will work ::

;Please note that I've included a few extra fields here to illustrate the Position / Rotation / etc...

Global mynewobj.cube ; We can name the 1st part of this code AFTER Global, whatever we want. It is simply to give the Type a new variable to work with. The 2nd part AFTER the dot is your ACTUAL above Type name being called.

We process the Type with For To ::

You can do the same with Rotation, Scale the Object, even Color the Object, Read from Files in your For Next instead of Random values, Make different types of cubes transparent or inbetween transparent & opaque...

The sky's the limit!

EDIT :: @steve_ancell --- Nice example using Dim!

~GF

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#6]
Thanks Guy, I do tend to have a habbit of stashing stuff inside Dims. :D

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#7]
I'm also a fan of stashing stuff inside Dims ;) Good to see a comparison between the use of types and Dims.

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#8]
I usually store other objects inside a type and then make an instance of that type inside an Dim, or array in the case of Monkey-X. If I don't need extra information attached then I just stash the object itself inside the array.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#9]

I usually store other objects inside a type and then make an instance of that type inside an Dim, or array

and what is the usefulness of doing that ? With dim array you can access an instance directly using its index, with customtype, you can access an instance directly using its handle. So not sure what is the advantage to mix the 2 ?

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#10]
Do you need to access the cubes later ?

If not, you just don't need to name them wheter using types or arrays.
Just parent them to a pivot
Once not usefull anymore, just free the pivot, it will release all entities attached.

Local ParentCube = CreatePivot()
Local cube
Cube = CreateCube(ParentCube)
 PositionEntity Cube, x1,y1,z1
Cube = CreateCube(ParentCube)
 PositionEntity Cube, x2,y2,z2
Etc ...

Repeat
   Blablabla
Until Quit

FreeEntity ParentCube

And by the way, you can still get the reference to the created cubes using GetChild

Local ParentCube = CreatePivot()
PositionEntity ( CreateCube(ParentCube), x1,y1,z1 )
PositionEntity ( CreateCube(ParentCube), x2,y2,z2 )
PositionEntity ( CreateCube(ParentCube), x3,y3,z3 )
Etc ...
TurnEntity GetChild(ParentCube, 1), 0,90,0 ; turn the first cube
TurnEntity GetChild(ParentCube, 2), 0,180,0 ; turn the second cube

Repeat
   Blablabla
Until Quit

FreeEntity ParentCube

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#11]
@RemiD:
I sometimes do that if I need extra information attached, it may or may not be useful to others but is useful to me. It all depends on your needs. ;)

[edit]To be more specific, by extra information I mean stuff like: desired speed, dead or dying, friend or foe, and what ever else springs to mind etc... Oh and of course the 2D or 3D content itself.[/edit]

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#12]
@Bobysait:
I forgot about pivots, but then again I don't do much 3D stuff; I'm one of those diehard 2D nutjobs. :D

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#13]
@steve_ancell>>it seems useless and unnecessary, but if you are happy, please continue ;)

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#14]
Without seeing the bigger picture a lot of things seem useless and unnecessary LOL... Everyone has their own weird style of coding though Bud! ;)

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#15]
Yeah yeah no worries, i was just curious about the usefulness to store customtype instances in a dim arrays since when you delete an instance of the customtype, then the corresponding index becomes useless (because the associated instance of the customtype does not exist anymore) ?

Flanker(Posted 2016) [#16]
@RemiD
it can be usefull if you need to store your type in a certain way, for example a 2 dimensions array, then if you need to know the handle of a particular type in this table you have it.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#17]
@Flanker>>ok, but in this case, why not store the reference/value directly in the dim arrays entry instead of using a customtype ?
Thing_Kind%(99,99) 
Thing_Collidable(99,99)
Thing_Renderer(99,99)

Since if you use a dim array to store the handles of instances of a customtype, you lose the advantage of the customtype which is that you don't have to reorganize the list after you have deleted an instance.

So yes, but no. (but ok!)

Flanker(Posted 2016) [#18]
@RemiD
Because if you don't fill your array entirely, this is lost memory space. This won't happen with types as you store only what is needed. If you don't have much things to store it won't be a problem, but when you have a lot, it helps you.

For example, if you have a 512x512x512 classic 3D grid, and in each cells, 10 floats to store, but only 1/4 of the cells will be filled :
Dim cell#(511,511,511,9)
This will take 1.3GB 5.4GB of memory, no matter if cells are used or not...

In this case you'd better use a smaller array to store handles of a type :
Dim cellHandle(511,511,511)

Type cellVariables
	Field variable#[9]
End Type
This will take less memory, unless you have a type assiocated with each cell.

eng_harvey(Posted 2016) [#19]
@RealEyesRealiseRealLies

Here is a possible answer to your question:

Is it possible in Blitz3D so I can only use 1 name for all the cubes I'm making and not have to name each individual one???

You could create one cube and then use CopyEntity() to replicate it.

Copy and paste the following code and give it a whirl :)

Graphics3D 1024,600,32,2 : SetBuffer BackBuffer() ; Graphics And Buffer Settings

; ------------------------------------------- Initialisation
Camera_1 = CreateCamera() : RotateEntity Camera_1,30,0,0 : Light_1 = CreateLight()

Plane_1 = CreatePlane() : PositionEntity Plane_1,0,-20,0 : EntityColor Plane_1,150,50,100

Puck = CreateCylinder() : PositionEntity Puck,0,-18,25 : ScaleEntity Puck,3,1,3

cubes = CreateCube() : Global cube

; ------------------------------------------- main loop
While Not KeyHit(1)
	Cls

; - Controls to move puck -> Keys; Left, Right, Up, Down
	If KeyDown(203) Then MoveEntity Puck,-1,0,0
	If KeyDown(205) Then MoveEntity Puck,1,0,0
	If KeyDown(200) Then MoveEntity Puck,0,0,1
	If KeyDown(208) Then MoveEntity Puck,0,0,-1

; - Space bar to place a new cube
	If KeyHit(57) Then cube = CopyEntity(cubes) : PositionEntity cube,EntityX(Puck),EntityY(Puck),EntityZ(Puck)

UpdateWorld
	RenderWorld

Flip
Wend

I am sure this could be adapted to suit your need. This example only uses two axis so if you needed height you would need to add it in.

You could save the coordinates of each cube to a file and then load the cubes back in the same location that you left them.

As you can see from the examples in this thread there are indeed many ways to solve your question.

Happy coding!

:)

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#20]
@Flanker>>yes in this case i understand the usefulness

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#21]

@Bobysait:
I forgot about pivots, but then again I don't do much 3D stuff; I'm one of those diehard 2D nutjobs. :D

I'm not trying to be impolite at all, but just to mention : my post was not related to anything you could have said here, I was just answering the topic's question.

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#22]
@Bobysait
Stay calm fella, I wasn't offended by anything. ;)

I do understand what you say about pivots, I just don't practice the 3D side much.

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#23]
@RemiD

Here's one reason why I do the object inside array thing. If I were to have a type called Soldier, and I created to variables (goodies and baddies), and I use them to create instances of Soldier; when I use For/Each it will address all objects of the soldier type regardless of what variable they are stored in. By putting objects inside arrays I can address them separately.

Below I am attempting to demonstrate what I mean. First code accesses via For/Each (notice that it accesses all things that are Soldier), the second accesses goodies only, and the third accesses just the baddies.

OK, I know I only have the "id" field inside the Soldier type, but you could obviously also stash other stuff in there including a 3D object.

I hope this sort of clears up why I do it the type in array style.

P.S: I know this may look a little off-topic to some but I say it's not. This has a valid place here due to the topic asking about how to store and access 3D objects, I'm just posting this here in a hopefully simpler way. ;)

;This will access the whole lot, this may be undesirable.

Graphics 800, 600
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

Global goodieCount = 5
Global baddieCount = 5
Global goodies.Soldier
Global baddies.Soldier

Type Soldier
	Field id$

End Type

For i = 0 To goodieCount
	goodies.Soldier = New Soldier
	goodies\id$ = "I'm a goody!"

Next

For i = 0 To baddieCount
	baddies.Soldier = New Soldier
	baddies\id$ = "I'm a baddy, I think you had better RUN!"

Next

For s.Soldier = Each Soldier
	Print s\id$

Next

WaitKey()
End

;This will create both goodies and baddies, and will allow me to access just the goodies.

Graphics 800, 600
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

Global goodieCount = 5
Global baddieCount = 5

Dim goodies.Soldier(goodieCount)
Dim baddies.Soldier(baddieCount)

Type Soldier
	Field id$

End Type

For i = 0 To goodieCount
	goodies(i) = New Soldier
	goodies(i)\id$ = "I'm a goody!"

Next

For i = 0 To baddieCount
	baddies(i) = New Soldier
	baddies(i)\id$ = "I'm a baddy, I think you had better RUN!"

Next

For i = 0 To goodieCount
	Print goodies(i)\id$

Next

WaitKey()
End

;This will create both goodies and baddies, and will allow me to access just the baddies.

Graphics 800, 600
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

Global goodieCount = 5
Global baddieCount = 5

Dim goodies.Soldier(goodieCount)
Dim baddies.Soldier(baddieCount)

Type Soldier
	Field id$

End Type

For i = 0 To goodieCount
	goodies(i) = New Soldier
	goodies(i)\id$ = "I'm a goody!"

Next

For i = 0 To baddieCount
	baddies(i) = New Soldier
	baddies(i)\id$ = "I'm a baddy, I think you had better RUN!"

Next

For i = 0 To baddieCount
	Print baddies(i)\id$

Next

WaitKey()
End

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#24]
Well your example is bad imo since you could do :
Type Baddie
 field Life#
end type

Type Goodie
 field Life#
end type

or
Baddie_Life#(10)

Goodie_Life#(10)

or if the list is not too big
Type Soldier
 Field Alignment% ; CBaddie or CGoodie (2 different constants)
 Field Life#
end type

or
Dim Soldier_Alignment%(10+10) ; CBaddie or CGoodie (2 different constants)
Dim Soldier_Life#(10+10)

but the example of Flanker is good (to not waste memory) but it could be replaced by something like that :
global ThingsCount% = 0
dim Thing_H%(100)

Type Thing
 field Name$
 Field Mesh
end type

;to create a thing
ThingsCount = ThingsCount + 1
TI% = ThingsCount
t.Thing = new Thing
t\Name = "blahblahblah"
t\Mesh = createmesh() ;or loadmesh()
Thing_H(TI) = handle(t)

;to access a thing
H% = Thing_H%(5)
t.Thing = Object.Thing(H)
entitycolor(t\Mesh,rand(025,255),rand(025,255),rand(025,255))

there are several ways to achieve the same result, and if it is senseful enough and fast enough, just continue to do it as you want...

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#25]
@RemiD

My examples above are very crude and stripped down for the sake of explanation so they would look bad, but, when used in the right situation as part of something, what I do makes perfect sense. Like I said, it depends on what you are doing.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#26]
@steve>>no worries, you do what you want, as long as it works well and runs fast enough...

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#27]
Fair enough fella ;)