3D level question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/3D level question

JapaneseGameDev3000(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hy, VERY important question. When you make a level map in blender or mapplet, and export it... How do you load it into an actual level like with regualar terrain, only its not a terrain its your hand made level.
I know about doing sky texture but how would you go about this. Sorry, been focusing on making a 2D game using c++, I'm almost finished actually, so I might go back to focusing on Blitz3D for a 3D game! Anyway thank you in advance...

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#2]
What's the file format of your level?

JapaneseGameDev3000(Posted 2016) [#3]
it will be .B3D for now

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#4]
; LoadMesh Example
; ----------------

Graphics3D 640,480,0,2
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

camera=CreateCamera()

light=CreateLight()
RotateEntity light,90,0,0

; Load mesh
level=LoadMesh("level.b3d")

PositionEntity level,0,0,MeshDepth(level)*2

While Not KeyDown( 1 )
RenderWorld
Flip
Wend

End

http://www.blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/command.php?name=loadmesh&ref=goto

JapaneseGameDev3000(Posted 2016) [#5]
hy again RustyKristi! now I would actually prefer to just do the texture terrain command. but I don't want it to be just one texture. This will make you understand my question more, you see I want to create a superman themed game, I am a comic book fan and I am probably not going to use 3D player models they will probably be sprites. either that or I was thinking about making a mode 7 type game, but is there a way to draw the race trak Mario kart style in a paint program then turn it into a terrain or something similar?My apologies I am only experienced in 2D. because wouldn't the texture just loop when loading it into a terrain?

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#6]

is there a way to draw the race trak Mario kart style in a paint program then turn it into a terrain

yes
you will need :
one image for the heightmap (the reliefs of the terrain)
one texture for the colors (the colors of the terrain)
(one texture for the details (the details which are tiled on the terrain))

the idea is to create your heightmap, then to draw the track on it (the pixels of the track need to be slightly darker than the pixel of the reliefs so that it looks as if it was digged in the terrain, then you blur it.

About the heightmap, i suggest to use a scale of 1,25.5,1 (for the height) so that each shade (grey color) between 0,0,0 and 255,255,255 represents 0.1 unit.

An example on how to create a terrain with such scale here : http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=3093

JapaneseGameDev3000(Posted 2016) [#7]
ok thanks I'm going to play around with that, probably come up with a tech demo

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#8]
If you can, try to find the game "sphere racers" (i bought it a few years ago on amazon, only a few euros), it is a Blitz3d game, and strangely, the source code is available on the install disc... (there are tracks on terrains like i described)

JapaneseGameDev3000(Posted 2016) [#9]
Thanks! This would be better for me to get a feel for not only creating a race track but also city streets with sidewalks using bitmaps.