Switching safely

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Switching safely

fox95871(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hello, I have a question regarding how Blitz3d handles things internally. I plan to have 1 out of 100 things visible at any given time, and I want to make sure the method I use for switching between them is as safe as it can be for peoples computers. As far as I know, there are 3 ways it can be done. Texturing by frame, texturing from a Dim of textures, and selecting from pretextured meshes. What kind of work does each one request of a computer? My best guess is, the first 2 involve a single redraw to the texture buffer, and the third involves 2 3d operations, and 98 ignores.

EntityTexture mesh,texture,0;~99

EntityTexture mesh,texture(0)

ShowEntity mesh(0)
For currentmesh=1 To 99
HideEntity mesh(currentmesh)
Next

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2016) [#2]
I've had Blitz3D handle 1,000+ Animated 3D Dwarves at one time in one small, compact area with barely ANY lag.

I've had 1,000,000+ loading in a large, compact area at around 10 - 15 FPS.

So I'd say around 250,000 at any given time if you do it right will keep your FPS above 30.

Hope that helps! =)

Regards,

~GF

Matty(Posted 2016) [#3]
Theres nothing you can do that is unsafe to a persons computer with blitz3d outside of writing over or deleting system files which is not what youre discussing.

Switching textures cant hurt a pc. Its simply doing standard operations.

Not sure what you mean by safe.

fox95871(Posted 2016) [#4]
Oh you know, I've just heard about people doing crazy stuff in Minecraft and ending up melting their computers or whatever. I'd actually like to do some of that 10 zillion objects all running at once stuff again, but I don't currently have a disposable computer.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2016) [#5]
Then you could really blame DirectX. Melting?

Besides, instead of dynamic texturing meshes, you should rather dynamicly put a predefined brush onto them.

Handling Textures through brushes is more flexible and stable.

CPUs and Graphiccards usually have Overheating Emergency shutdown features.

Unless, some dudes deactivated it in order to insanely overclock their hardware - just to get something they can tell their buddies...