Frustum versus screensize

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Frustum versus screensize

fox95871(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hello, could someone with a 1280x1024 capable monitor please post a screenshot from this? I've discovered something pretty interesting about the different modes, but I can't test this one myself.

Dan(Posted 2016) [#2]

fox95871(Posted 2016) [#3]
Awesome, thank you :) I still need to do the actual comparison on my other computer, but it looks from here like the results are as expected: the non 4x3 modes were possibly designed on a 4x3 screen. Therefore, if for example your program can't handle more than 10 meshes on the screen at once, as long as you set it up on a 4x3, no other mode will ever display more than what you saw, because their frustums are all contained within the 4x3 screen! I don't know if it's true for every last aspect ratio, but I tested 8x5, 16x9, and now 5x4, which encompasses 10 of the most common screen resolutions, and it was true for all of them. I'll post the comparison image later. Actually, wait... I think this one was supposed to have its sides cropped, so it might only be true for the modes that are wider, not taller.

fox95871(Posted 2016) [#4]

Almost had it. Oh well, you could still base everything off a 5x4 and just think of anything "wider" as being like a cropped version of the 5x4 frustum. To explain the image, the layer showing the mesh fitting the screen is from a 1024x768 screenshot, and the brighter ones are from wider modes resized to fit the 1024 width. As you can see, those all show less of the mesh, which is good for knowing what'll be seen on other computers, but the darkest one shows area beyond the mesh, being that it's a "tall" screensize, as well as my new enemy. No, but I'd be grateful to anyone willing to post screenshots from even taller modes so I can see more of the trend, though I assume it probably stays consistent.

---
||/||
 ---

---
| - |
||/||
| - |
 ---

---
|   |
|   |
|   |