2560 x 2048  tower, laptop
2880 x 1920  tower, laptop
3840 x 2400  tower, laptop
3200 x 2400  tower, laptop
4000 x 3000  tower, laptop
5120 x 4096  tower, laptop
6400 x 4800  tower, laptop
7680 x 4800  tower, laptop

I scoured the web for a few days to compile this. Please feel free to add any I may have missed. I love the edit button, so I'll be sure and keep it updated. I haven't contributed much to this forum lately but opinions and ideas, but I've posted a lot of stuff in the past I'm happy with, like fully functional dropdown menus. I have more on my computer I've never shown, so just let me know if it's wanted, and I'll post some. I have a mouse controlled level mesh editor, alphaed antialised text like you see in anime subtitles... all kinds of stuff.

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#2]
There's MANY, MANY more -- for example: Most modern videocards will also allow you to run your display in portrait mode (and every tablet will), which means that in addition to 1920x1080, 1080x1920 is also a valid resolution -- as is any other where the height/width are reversed.

My monitor does 2560x1440 (not on your list), and also has a built-in split-screen mode which displays two separate input signals at 1280x1440 each (also not on your list)

There's also the ultra-wide 21:9 displays that can do 2560x1080, 3440x1440, etc.

there's also a bunch of the oddball legacy resolutions (360x480,640x512, 512x384, etc.)

Here's some pages with more options:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_display_resolution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

And here's a website that captures resolutions of website visitors: http://www.screenresolution.org -- (It accurately reported mine)
(I suspect on some platforms it might be reporting window size -- there's over 4700 different reported resolutions, although the vast majority of people are spread out over just a dozen or so resolutions)

As far as what resolutions people are actually using, the quarterly Steam hardware survey is probably the most representative compilation, at least for the PC.

fox95871(Posted 2015) [#3]
Oh no! Well maybe the goal should be for it to become comprehensive, then. My sources were of common screen resolutions, but after I got about fifty, I was like, okay looks like I got that one already, and that one too, so I stopped. If 4,650 of them are used by almost no one, or were only on devices from the 60s or something, I should probably leave those out, right? This is just to make sure games fill the screen on devices most people are using. screenresolution.org should be great for that! And I'll add the others you put up too, thanks :)

Yasha(Posted 2015) [#4]
I don't know what your goal is in compiling this list, but nobody should be using it for practical purposes in an actual game they're making.

There is exactly one correct list to use in that situation: the list of resolutions returned by the video card when asked what it supports. (Use these commands in Blitz3D.) Any other list is an error: you'll either include a bunch of obscure resolutions the currently-running machine doesn't support, miss out a bunch of newer resolutions that weren't available at the time the list was made, or most likely both.

Doesn't it annoy you when you go to play an older game and it offers you a flat choice of 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768, none of which work correctly because monitors don't go that low any more? There's literally no reason to ever hardcode this stuff (a game generally has no reason to even know what resolution it's running at, outside of saving the settings), and plenty of very good reasons not to.

fox95871(Posted 2015) [#5]
That's helpful, thanks. And if this thread is harmful, I'll abandon it.

Yasha(Posted 2015) [#6]
It's not harmful, there are many reasons why it could be interesting or of other research value. If you enjoy this, keep doing it! It's just unhelpful for one specific use.

In particular, information like this could be useful to people thinking about how they want their game to look on different devices, and knowing in advance how much real estate they're likely to have available, and in which configuration, so they can make the best use of it. It's just that they should never count on the prediction being right 100%.

My initial reading of your posts made it seem like you intended people to actually take these numbers away as a list to use directly with the Graphics3D command. But there's nothing wrong with being informed and designing well as a result. Sorry if post #4 is too harsh.

fox95871(Posted 2015) [#7]
Cool. Yeah, I'm just coming from a place where for a long time my attitude was "1024x768 or die!" But now, sheesh, I myself have a new laptop that isn't, so I'm looking at flexibility. I'm glad you pointed out those commands, because I saw that Blitzmax or something has commands for detecting the resolution, and I wasn't sure if Blitz3d does. In fact, I'd like to transform this thread to be about that topic instead, if that's okay. One question I have is, how do I avoid stretched resolutions? The computer I'm on now is 1366x768, but it has an option for 1024x768, and when you select that mode, it gets totally distorted. I now know to avoid it, but how could you setup a Blitz3d game to, having no idea another persons actual screen aspect ratio? Post 4 too harsh? Ha! I always put on armor before going online ;) Nice of you to apologize though, and apology accepted of course.

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#8]
I now know to avoid it, but how could you setup a Blitz3d game to, having no idea another persons actual screen aspect ratio?

Since windows hides non-supported resolutions by default, I think that if you see a bunch of widescreen resolutions in the list of available resolutions, in all likelihood the user will have widescreen.

(I don't know if there is a way to do it in B3D, but for an ideal starting resolution you can probably query windows to find out what resolution the desktop runs in -- typically that's going to run at the native resolution of the display, have the correct aspect ratio, and will look the best to the user)

If you give the end user a choice to pick a resolution, I'd think that most would be smart enough to pick one that actually applies to their system, or at least try a different one if the one they do select looks stretched/skewed.

But in the end, there is no guaranteed way for you to "know" if a user actively picked a 4:3 resolution but actually has a 16:9 display. If this happens, then the output will always look like crap regardless, and you programmatically trying to adjust the drawing will still look worse than if the user had picked the proper aspect ratio to begin with.

Overall, you do have a few choices:

1) Design the interface in your game to be aspect-ratio independent (e.g. on widescreen just draw a wider view of your game area, of adjust your HUD/borders to make use of the extra space
2) focus on wide-screen, and use letterboxing on 4:3 monitors
3) focus on 4:3, and use pillarboxing on 16:9 monitors

Whatever you pick, just keep in mind that for the overwhelming majority of computers sold in the past decade or so would have come with a widescreen monitor.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#9]

how do I avoid stretched resolutions

If the screen is not extremely small or with a weird width/height ratio you can always draw your gui elements / hud elements related to each corner of the screen and therefore don't care about what is the resolution. (but of course you probably want to avoid to render your gui elements / hud elements in a portrait mode if they were designed for a landscape mode...)

Another approach is to design your gui elements / hud elements to look good in a specific pwidth pheight which can be contained in most others screens resolution used by your target users. And only use this part of the screen to display the game and black borders in the unused areas. This has also the advantage to decrease the render time because less pixels have to be calculated and drawn...

If your intent is to create a game, i suggest to forget your list of resolutions and rather consider this one : http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
(click "Primary Display Resolution")