Translate Triangles

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Translate Triangles

Argandos(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi.
I have a problem to find the command for moving triangles. I've searched the help files for this but i didn't found anything, so i want to ask this here.
I want to translate an triangle. My script does include the selection of triangles (which give me the number of the tris) and the CameraPick() command after an "if"-command. My goal is to write an 3D Modeling Software, so i want to learn the basics of the 3D tools of Blitz3D. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance...
Greetings
Argandos

Yasha(Posted 2015) [#2]
There isn't one. Triangles don't have a position in their own right - they're just a grouping construct for three vertices (literally, the only data a triangle "object" actually holds is the IDs of its vertices). Vertices have position and other properties, so to "move" a triangle, you actually move the three vertices that comprise it in the direction you want.

Function MoveTriangle(surf, tri, x#, y#, z#)
    Local v0 = TriangleVertex(surf, tri, 0), v1 = TriangleVertex(surf, tri, 1), v2 = TriangleVertex(surf, tri, 2)
    VertexCoords(surf, v0, VertexX(surf, v0) + x, VertexY(surf, v0) + y, VertexZ(surf, v0) + z)
    VertexCoords(surf, v1, VertexX(surf, v1) + x, VertexY(surf, v1) + y, VertexZ(surf, v1) + z)
    VertexCoords(surf, v2, VertexX(surf, v2) + x, VertexY(surf, v2) + y, VertexZ(surf, v2) + z)
End Function

Argandos(Posted 2015) [#3]
Wow, that was fast! I will add this to my code - Thanks ;)

Argandos(Posted 2015) [#4]
Sorry, still don't get it. I need the position of the vertices, right? And with that position, i can translate the vertice to another position?
Is there an command to show the position of the vertices like: "Text 0,200,"PickedSurface: "+PickedSurface()" or something? I'm using a simple cube with the command CreateCube, maybe this is wrong?
Would be really nice if you can help me again, this is an really important topic for me ;)

Floyd(Posted 2015) [#5]
Here's something I wrote ages ago when Blitz3D was young. I used it to decipher how meshes worked.
The example is more complicated than it needs to be. At the time I was trying to figure out what AddMesh did; one surface, multiple surfaces...?

Have a look through the Blitz3D - Category list, the Mesh and Surface sections should have all the relevant commands.

; Function to dump vertex info to debug log.

Graphics3D 800,600,16,2

s1=CreateSphere()
s2=CopyEntity(s1)
cone=CreateCone(5)

PositionMesh s2,2,0,0

;DumpVertices(s1,5,"Sphere 1 vertex info.")
;DumpVertices(s2,5,"Sphere 2 vertex info.")

clone=CreateMesh()
AddMesh cone,clone
dumpvertices(cone,100,"Cone")

WaitKey()

End

Function DumpVertices( mesh, maxVertices, message$="Vertex list" )

Local nSurfs, sIndex, surface, vCount, lf$, txt$
Local x$,y$,z$, nx$,ny$,nz$

lf$=Chr$(10)	
	nSurfs=CountSurfaces( mesh )
	DebugLog lf+message+lf
	DebugLog "Number of surfaces = "+nSurfs+lf

For sIndex=1 To nSurfs

DebugLog "Surface = "+sIndex+lf
		surface=GetSurface( mesh, sIndex )

For v=0 To CountVertices( surface ) - 1

vCount = vCount + 1
			If vCount > maxVertices 
				DebugLog lf+"Number of vertices shown = "+(vCount-1)
				Return
			End If

x = RSet(  VertexX( surface, v ), 13)
			 y = RSet(  VertexY( surface, v ), 13)
			 z = RSet(  VertexZ( surface, v ), 13)
			nx = RSet( VertexNX( surface, v ), 13)
			ny = RSet( VertexNY( surface, v ), 13)
			nz = RSet( VertexNZ( surface, v ), 13)

txt="v="+RSet(v,4)+"  "+x+y+z+"     "+nx+ny+nz
			DebugLog txt

Next

Next