FPS Engine creation

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/FPS Engine creation

EpicElrod(Posted 2015) [#1]
I am making a first-person game. I want this to be a slightly marketable game, and I want to make a basic engine, so I can make similar games. My question is, where do I start? I have a lot I the game I want to add, so where do I begin coding?

EpicElrod(Posted 2015) [#2]
Btw, don't just say "From the start" please.

_PJ_(Posted 2015) [#3]
It's largely dependant on your experience and knowledge of programming and of the Blitz3D language.

If either of these is at a 'starter level', then it's probably recommended that you focus on learning the basics first before you tackle something as complex as a game engine.

steve_ancell(Posted 2015) [#4]
Letting us know what you know already would be helpful. ;-)

steve_ancell(Posted 2015) [#5]
Have you already downloaded a programming language: Blitz, Monkey-X, DarkBasic, etc?...

Hotshot2005(Posted 2015) [#6]
Darkbasic? They should called it ULGYBASIC :-) LOL

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#7]
First define what you want to do, then break it down into pseudocode that can be translated into chunks of code. Then write the actual modules that make up these steps.

For examples of FPS engines google the code archives or check the examples that come with Blitz3d located in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Blitz3D\samples

For instance:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Blitz3D\samples\Hi-Toro\Death Island\deathisland.bb
C:\Program Files (x86)\Blitz3D\samples\si\fps\fps.bb

Also see(very nice one):
http://jnoodle.com/Blitz3D_1/

Hope this helps.

Yue(Posted 2015) [#8]
From experience, it is necessary to delve into how to create programs Blitz3D then when that experience is gained consider the possibility of creating a game. But it all depends on your existing skills, like writing code, building models, images, textures, sounds, if you have all this off can create something interesting.

But the secret is to understand everything you can do with Blitz3D and what you can do with Blitz3D. In this case the goal of any engine regardless of the technology is to create a game and that Blitz can create a FPS game.

Regards.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#9]
For small time coders like ourselves.....build what you need for the game rather than something generic. Only you know what you want from your game and your next game will likely be very different in featureset and the experience you will gain will likely make you want to turf your first games code.

I dont know your experience level but I imagine, perhaps wrongly, it is limited. Make what you actually need for your game, not what you might need for theoretical game sequel to a non existent game.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2015) [#10]
I'd suggest

make some player controls for the 1st perspective.

Add a gun

Add enemies that shoot you and that you can shoot.

A simple method is to have the enemies patroling aling some waypoints. Record such waypoints simply while you walk around, save them to a file.

Make a level editor that creates a list of meshes and their positions, so the engine can load the level / map.
Personally I prefer a FPPLE, first person perspective level editor.

Add game play features, such as:
barrel with radioactive hazard: entitydistance affects health...
Keys and Doors.
Riddles.
story.
goal / boss / level exit.

So you'll have a very simple fps. Don't expect to get something like the modern, complex engines, because there is a reason why they cost 100'000'000$+ nowadays.