Blitz3D OO, Other Questions

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blitz3D OO, Other Questions

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#1]
I'm considering moving the early stages of a game engine I'm writing in Blitzmax over to Blitz3D.

What advantages or disadvantages does Blitz3D offer over Blitzmax with OpenGL?

Will I be able to create and dynamically modify a terrain mesh on the fly? The application is a roguelike with procedurally generated maps.

What about dynamic modification of voxel-based character models?

How does OO work in Blitz3D? How does it compare to OO in Blitzmax?

Are shaders usable in Blitz3D? What shader model does it support?

I have the gut feeling that I'm better off sticking with Blitzmax even though its OpenGL is not wrapped, but are there compelling advantages to Blitz3D graphics over Max?

Figure I'm shooting for a graphical standard similar to Voxatron, possibly with more visual detail and interest provided by shaders.

Yasha(Posted 2014) [#2]
TL;DR there are no advantages to Blitz3D over BlitzMax. The main reason people use it is because it's a simpler language or one they already know, but you already know the more powerful one.

To answer the others:

- Yes. Blitz3D supports image-based heightmaps out of the box and has at least one powerful terrain library (Krischan's BlitzTiles) available too. Depends what you want.

- There is no builtin support for voxels. You would need to simulate them with meshes. This is generally pretty slow.

- It doesn't exist in any capacity. BlitzMax adds OO where it didn't exist before.

- No. None.

- No.

I don't know where you heard that Blitz3D could help with shaders, because the fact it doesn't support them has been a sticking point with the community for some years! Blitz3D is DirectX 7; fixed-function only. These days, slow, poorly-supported and not portable.

If you want the advantages of Max and OpenGL but to use a Blitz3D-like command set, you should investigate miniB3D. It's a clone of B3D for Max, very complete and solid. bLabZ has been investigating shader support for it.

(In general, if you want to use shaders, you don't need a tool like B3D or its clones, as 90% of what it does is superseded.)

Matty(Posted 2014) [#3]
Sounds like you are going backwards.....blitz3d as a language is very old fashioned and you need to do a lot of basic stuff that modern languages do for you....the one I cant put up with anymore is the lack of garbage collection.

Matty(Posted 2014) [#4]
Sounds like you are going backwards.....blitz3d as a language is very old fashioned and you need to do a lot of basic stuff that modern languages do for you....the one I cant put up with anymore is the lack of garbage collection.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#5]
That sounds like an answer and I must say it's the one I was hoping for. I will just use OpenGL which I am fairly comfortable with.

Matty: I like preallocated pools better than gc and from looking through some b3d source I think I would be comfortable enough with it, it seems c-like, but if there's no clear advantage to it I won't bother with it. I can resurrect my voxel editor and Blitzmax GL engine from 2010 and go from there.