Error on my Blitz3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Error on my Blitz3D

Obliteration(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hello.

On Blitz3D, Whether I run some code, it appear;

Error writing file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blitz3D\tmp\tmp.bb"

I am not sure if that bug or not. It happen while I am trying create collision or player so I can walking and cannot goes through wall and stuff like that.

I've see a example of how to walking, jumping but still incapable so...

A little help to make the camera (player) walk?

Thank you for your time reading this.

Yasha(Posted 2014) [#2]
In general non-administrative programs should not be trying to write to the Program Files folders - they don't have permission.

When developing a complete game, it should solve this problem by seeking out the user's Documents folder and writing to a user-owned file there, where it has permission to do so.

To solve this problem in the short term (for small snippets and so on), don't write your code inside Blitz3D's install folder - have a working projects folder in your Documents area instead. That way when you try to write to a nearby relative path there will be no problem.

The tmp/tmp.bb issue is specifically because that's where B3D tries to save unnamed files. Solve this problem by not using unnamed files, I guess. This is technically a bug, yes (B3D should not be trying to write to Program Files either on modern OSen, for the same reason - sadly B3D was designed this way in the era of Windows 98).

You might also be able to temporarily fix this issue by replacing Blitz3D/tmp with a shortcut to a real tmp folder in your Documents folder, where (again) you have write permission.

Pakz(Posted 2014) [#3]
I had that too. I created a folder named tmp in the installation folder and the error went away. I had it last week again when I got a new laptop and installed b3d. I remembered that I posted the solution to the blitz forum where again I found out how to fix it.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#4]
You can also bypass these problems by installing B3D somewhere outside the c:\program files folders -- e.g. c:\Blitz3D or c:\programming\B3D or something.

Pakz(Posted 2014) [#5]
Installing it elsewhere did not make the error go away.

Obliteration(Posted 2014) [#6]
Ha, I see. By the way, I believe I did save outside the folder...

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

One more question;

How to run it without using Blitz3D software?

I am sure it use .exe but still, I can't find one. I've save it as .exe but it appear incapable to so...

Matty(Posted 2014) [#7]
Look at the menu option...there is a compile option. Make sure all references to media and files are accessible from the location of the exe.

NotAGamer(Posted 2014) [#8]
when this happened to me .. i just created a folder named "tmp" in the path it said.. then after that its ok.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Blitz3D\tmp\tmp.bb

Obliteration(Posted 2014) [#9]
Sorry, but what menu compile?

Matty(Posted 2014) [#10]
Dont have blitz3d on me at the moment and im writing on a phone...look in the menu where run is...really the blitz ide is not very complex.

Obliteration(Posted 2014) [#11]
I don't have bitz3d on me too, I am in school and awaiting for permission to get the software...

(Still new here)