Masked texture

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Masked texture

Kiyoshi(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hello all, its been a while since I've last posted. I could use some help with an issue I've been struggling with for a while now.

I've created a texture using the CreateTexture command, and have attempted to mask the texture using flag 4. However, all this seems to do is remove everything I've added to the texture. Heres an example I've made up:

I had coloured the two top textures 0,0,0, and the B3D help docs say that all sections of the texture coloured 0,0,0 would not be drawn to the screen, but it doesn't appear to be doing that at all. The same thing is happening on the two lower textures as well, but there are no black areas on those two textures at all. I had drawn white text onto the textures, but the text is removed as well.

I don't know if I'm missing something completely obvious or what, but I'd really appreciate some help here. What exactly does setting the texture flag to 4 do?

Many thanks,
Kii

Floyd(Posted 2014) [#2]
There are a few issues here and I don't know all the details.

Each buffer has some format, a combination of color, alpha etc. The 2D commands only work with compatible formats, whatever that means. In this case Text is simply failing on the incompatible textures. You might hope to use Text on a texture where it works and then CopyRect to another texture. I think that will also fail in this case.

You can often get the result you want if you are willing to get your hands dirty with some bit twiddling. Here is a somewhat half-baked example.

It builds a texture which is solid yellow, with alpha increasing from left to right. Then there is an image with some blue text. Finally these are combined, using alpha from the texture and color from the image.

Graphics3D 800, 600, 0, 2
AmbientLight 255,255,255

cam = CreateCamera()  :  PositionEntity cam, 0, 0, -3
cube = CreateCube()

tex=CreateTexture( 256,256, 1 + 2 + 16 + 32 )  ; color + alpha + clamp u + clamp v
EntityTexture cube, tex

SetBuffer TextureBuffer( tex )
For x = 0 To 255
	For y = 0 To 255
		WritePixel x, y, (x Shl 24) + $FFFF00  ; alpha=x  R=255 G=255 B=0
	Next
Next

img = CreateImage( 200, 100 )
SetBuffer ImageBuffer( img )
Color 0,0,255
SetFont LoadFont( "arial", 80 )
Text 0,0, "Hello"

imgbuff = ImageBuffer( img )
texbuff = TextureBuffer( tex )
For x = 0 To 199
	For y = 0 To 99
		imgpixel = ReadPixel( x, y, imgbuff ) And $FFFFFF  ; just the color data
		If imgpixel <> 0 
			texpixel = ReadPixel( x+50, y+90, texbuff ) And $FF000000  ; just alpha
			WritePixel x+50, y+90, texpixel + imgpixel, texbuff
		End If
	Next
Next

SetBuffer BackBuffer()
RenderWorld
Flip
WaitKey

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#3]
I think that you can't use some flags when using createtexture() or at least it does not work the same way as when you use loadtexture with the same flag
for example try to replace the flag 4 by the flag 2. Here i get a "buffer does not exist"

2 possibles solutions to make some pixels transparent/invisible on a texture :
create an image with black pixels
save the image
load the image as a texture with loadtexture and flag 4
or
use writepixel to specify the alpha value of each transparent/invisible pixel
there are examples of this in the code archives

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#4]
others infos :
http://www.blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/command.php?name=CreateTexture&ref=3d_cat

Kiyoshi(Posted 2014) [#5]
Ah, okay then. Its interesting how certain flags will work using LoadTexture but not CreateTexture. I've been using RemiD's first solution for a while now, just because I could never get the flag to work on CreateTexture...Now I know! Time to go break down Floyd's code and learn that method. Thanks for helping, you two.

Kii

Mikorians(Posted 2014) [#6]
An obsolete note: some old paint programs change brightness and contrast so you wind up with non 0 black, and 256 color bitmaps may have funny issues with palette slots.
This sort of thing can also occur converting images between hardware platforms.