Blitz3D install path = ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blitz3D install path = ?

Tektoy(Posted 2014) [#1]
Just wondering if the latest installers are setting their windows search paths correctly.

I'm encountering a 'User lib not found' error, the readme in the userlib folder mentions that Blitz3D sets up the 'userlibs' into the system search path, but on checking in a console with the path command there is no Blitz anything.

Can someone with a working setup please copy and paste the correct Blitz path please?

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#2]
You can install Blitz3d where you want.
On my computer (with Windows 7 64bits) Blitz3d is installed in c:/Progs/Blitz3d/

In my case, the userlib files (.dll and .decls) must be put in c:/Progs/Blitz3d/userlibs/

But i use administrator mode, maybe with user mode this is different.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#3]
Caveat: If you install it under c:\program files or c:\program files (x86) under Vista/Windows7/Windows8, you'll run into UAC permission problems since those windows versions will not allow a program to write to those folders after install time -- instead, you'll be transparently redirected to a virtual storage location, where it may not be able to find other files it's expecting.

To fix, install in a different path like c:\programming\Blitz3D, or c:\B3D, or... Just stay out of the program files directories.

Tektoy(Posted 2014) [#4]
Yep, I installed onto my d: drive, so...

I installed the 64bit installation to d:\Blitz3D

That install had no userlibs directory, so I created one and coped the Hardwired.dll and declaration file there, as well as leaving the originals in the hardwired folder.
That didn't work, so...

I downloaded and installed the 32bit version of Blitx3D to d:\Blitz3D32
This install did include the 'userlibs' folder so rinse, repeat with the hardwired files, and still I get the 'userlib not found' error.

So then I typed the 'path' command in a console window to list all windows internal search paths, only to find there is no Blitz entries at all.

So that seems odd to me, as I'm assuming the Blitz installer program should have patched the installation location into Windows internal search path, unless there's some bug, or oversite going on.

Can someone type the 'path' command into a console / command prompt window and paste any Blitz entries they might find, here please!

Floyd(Posted 2014) [#5]
Some of this is baffling. I'm not aware of any 64-bit installation of Blitz3D. There is only 32-bit. On 64-bit Windows it would, by default, be installed into \program files (x86). As xlsior mentioned this runs into UAC issues. Files you think are going into the \Blitz3D folder are really going into the virtual store.

On my 64-bit Windows 7 Blitz3D is installed in \program files (x86), but I have it set to run as Administrator. The userlibs folder is inside \Blitz3D and it works as expected. I assume your d:\Blitz3D32\userlibs should do the same.

I also don't see any mention of Blitz setting up any search paths, and indeed I don't have any (other than for BlitzMax ). A program run from the IDE will look in the userlibs folder. A standalone compiled program will look wherever the .exe is.

In both cases it will also look wherever system DLL's are stored. For example you could use the user32.dll, provided you have the appropriate decls file.

Tektoy(Posted 2014) [#6]
Okay, thanks Floyd, I'll try reinstalling somewhere on my c: drive and see if that helps any.

But I see two full installs under the product updates tab, version 1.108 and 1.64, I just assumed the later was a 64bit version, not an older release, possibly my bad.

Tektoy(Posted 2014) [#7]
Okay, installing on the c: drive made no difference at all.

All the normal Blitz samples work fine, so I'm thinking maybe it's something to do with the Hardwired library and me not 'installing' it correctly.

I'll jump over to their forum and try there.

Thanks anyways.

Floyd(Posted 2014) [#8]
I don't think any userlib examples are included. You can get more information at:

Userlibs specifications
Userlibs demo

Copy the demolib.decls and demolib.dll files to your userlibs folder. If the IDE is already running you probably need to close and restart for the changes to be noticed.

Then run this little program from the IDE. Note I have not capitalized DemoLib_ShuffleString properly. If the IDE recognizes the new functions then it will capitalize and color appropriately.

t$ = "ABCDEF"

Text 150, 100, t
Text 150, 130, demolib_shufflestring( t )

WaitKey

Tektoy(Posted 2014) [#9]
Oops, got a 404 not found to both those links.

Tektoy(Posted 2014) [#10]
Okay Ploppy figured it out for me, was simply an out of date DirectX issue by the looks of it.

So problem solved.

Hmmm, wonder if this is why BlitzMax went with OpenGL, less headaches all round? :-)

Oh well, I can play around for now, knowing I'll have to upgrade to Max, or Monkey at some point.

Thanks for your input.

Kryzon(Posted 2014) [#11]
It is not that far-fetched to support both APIs in your product anyway, so you can let your end users choose what's best for their system.
You will have to use an engine that offers different renderer APIs of course, like Max2D in BlitzMax.

Also, remember that you're not in control of the hardware "ecosystem." The GPU vendors are. Therefore, as a developer you can only follow it.
Desktop platforms favour DirectX 10+, so what are you going to do? Support it of course. At the end of the day you only want to make a living.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ - Windows systems are 95% of the share in desktop operating systems.
Some of those systems may support OpenGL, but they all certainly support some version of DirectX.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#12]

Windows systems are 95% of the share in desktop operating systems.

It is variable depending on the langage/countries you target, but these days it is approximately : 85% Windows, 10% Mac, 5% Linux
See :
http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-ww-monthly-201405-201407-bar
and select the countries you are interest in.

Wayne(Posted 2016) [#13]
Win 7
Have B3d installed into c:\Blitz3d

Tried Demo:
Userlibs specifications
Userlibs demo

copied decls, and dll to userlibs
entered demo program

Get function not found.

Tried:
set PATH=c:\Blitz3d\userlibs;%PATH%

Still doesn't work. Don't recall it was this hard 14 years ago.

this working for others, what's hardwired doing ?

Dan(Posted 2016) [#14]
The path should be set to the bin folder, and Blitzpath should be set to the Blitzbasic folder.

here are few batchfiles, which should work.