Error writing file - new install

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Error writing file - new install

Pakz(Posted 2014) [#1]
I just bought Blitz 3d and I wanted to run a sample from the code archives and I got the following error.

Error writing file "C:\program files (x86)\blitz3d\tmp\tmp.bb

I get this with other things I type in to. In blitz + I do not get this error. I tried running as admin but it did not help.

I installed the latest version from the site. I have windows 7 64 bit I think.

What can I do to fix this?

Pakz(Posted 2014) [#2]
I figured out so far that I need administrator rights for writing in the folder. I can not put anything in the folder. I am looking how to solve it but have not found anything yet.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#3]
Newer versions of windows by default won't let you create files in the program files / folder after install time. You can fix that by changing the security settings of the folder, but the security tab is only visible in save mode under the non-professional windows v ersions.

Quickest fix: (re) install to a different folder, e.g. c:\Blitz3D
Should work OK there.

Pakz(Posted 2014) [#4]
I installed it to the C: drive but am getting the same error.

Pakz(Posted 2014) [#5]
I fixed it by creating a tmp folder in the install directory of blitz 3d. Somehow it could not create a folder and I had to do it manually through the file explorer. Now the programs run when not saved.

Midimaster(Posted 2014) [#6]
Do you have a drive "D:\"? Try it there...

AngelOnFira(Posted 2014) [#7]
Ok, I had this problem the other day and here is how it works. When you make a new file, it automatically tries to temp-save it to that folder, hence the error. Therefore as you were saying, it needs admin privileges.

The easiest way to fix this;

1. Install Blitz anywhere, that doesn't matter.
2. SAVE THE FILE YOU ARE WORKING ON IN A LOCATION THAT IS NOT USER-RESTRICTED (such as the desktop, or documents)
3. Profit

That fixed my problem and it WILL fix yours.