Colliders - hoo boy

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Colliders - hoo boy

Mikorians(Posted 2013) [#1]
5 days of work. Various cord sys, collision options, No good.
Let's assume a modified ver of:
Http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2933
Was deployed.

Can some genius who wants credit write one that can handle more complex maps with an elevator, 3 twirling gears, overhanging elements, ramps, two-sided poly walls with potentially narrow, closely spaced and small doorways?

Bugs noted:
1. We jump up through the bottoms of things
2. We cannot land on moving objects going UP
3. Other moving objects slide out from underneath us
4. With child colliders, the camera can become pinned between two narrow vertical objs, whilst our body runs away
5. Similar or worse behavior with moving platforms

This would benefit the ENTIRE community, and maybe a link to it in the help file for the application would be a GREAT idea.
Thank you!

Simpson(Posted 2013) [#2]
I could code you that,but learn to code yourself num nuts.

He said it as if it was an order.Soz if i replyed wrong.

Mikorians(Posted 2013) [#3]
Pardon, but I did say CAN.
Pretty please????

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#4]
Mikorians: Ignore the troll.

Mikorians(Posted 2013) [#5]
Trolls seem mean... ?

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#6]

1. We jump up through the bottoms of things

This is normal considering there is only one collider sphere (radius 0.25) at the bottom of the character
If you want to avoid this, you can add one other sphere at the top of the character to detect when the character top hits an obstacle (the roof) and must stop moving up (when jumping) and start moving down (falling)
Or you could use linepick.

2. We cannot land on moving objects going UP

You could if the moving objects going up had one or several colliders sphere emitter and receiver.
See this example :
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=101606 (#2)
Or use linepick to detect the ground.

3. Other moving objects slide out from underneath us

Same answer as 2

4. With child colliders, the camera can become pinned between two narrow vertical objs, whilst our body runs away

Not if the camera or the "Eyes" are child of the "Feet" and don't have a collider.

5. Similar or worse behavior with moving platforms

Same answer as 2

Collisions are not easy to manage with Blitz3d default collision engine because of the lack of others shapes than spheres for moving colliders..

To solve the issue 2,3,5, you could use linepick to detect where is the ground below player "Feet" and use a collider sphere only to detect collisions with the environment when moving front, back, left, right. This is what i have done in my last tests.

Mikorians(Posted 2013) [#7]
I cannot apply collision spheres to every relevant mesh/sub mesh in my scenes, I was going to make the elevator my parent, but while this works, gravity must be negated.
this is also problematic.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#8]
To recap :
To detect an obstacle above player -> linepick against "pickables" meshes (roof or obstacles)
To detect an obstacle below player -> linepick against "pickables" meshes (ground or terrain or obstacle or platform)
To detect an obstacle at front, at back, at left, at right -> collider sphere (emitter) against colliders mesh (receivers)

To have your player stay on the platform when his feet are near enough the top of the platform, you could use a variable to keep his state (OnGround, OnAir, OnWall, OnPlatform, ...)

Because your characters are allowed to jump, a challenge you may have is to find a way to prevent the player to jump through another character and to prevent a character to jump through the player or through another character.
A collider capsule will prevent this but there is no capsule collider in Blitz3d collision system.

Good luck.

Mikorians(Posted 2013) [#9]
I appreciate your explanation, but I am actually also seeking product support/example also
Please remember that I've been 'fiddling' with this thing for 5 days, and I believe MOST earnestly that this warrants at least -
An example of advanced collision usage (however it is done)
Perhaps a contest for this, hm????

Mikorians(Posted 2013) [#10]
Why do people troll? It's idiotic!
I can't ever get my questions answered!
I guess I'm a so-called 'caught fish'
God I hate Internet games!!!

Simpson(Posted 2013) [#11]
As GaryV says ignore me,even though he didn`t try to help you.

Everything you need is in the code archive.

Mikorians(Posted 2014) [#12]
"Good work, Simpson."
Aren't beginners too easy a prey for trolls?
That IS cruel, you know, this being a beginners board.
Is that the point?
Can't help my curiosity.