Creating a mini map

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Creating a mini map

Phoenixx(Posted 2013) [#1]
I'm looking at creating a mini map at the bottom right hand corner of my screen and still showing the full playing screen under the mini map, something like what they have on the grand theft auto games.

If anyone can help me out with this it would be appreciated, and thanks.

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#2]
Hi, some food for thought: http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=88671#1006786

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#3]
Phoenixx>>What i would do is to render the scene twice, once from the player view, once from above the level to below.
I would use only one camera and 2 pivots, one pivot for the player view, one pivot for the minimap view.
Each frame, i would position rotate the camera with the same position and orientation than the playerview pivot and render the scene.
Then, i would position rotate the camera with the same position and orientation than the minimapview pivot and render the scene.
Then either apply the textures to 2 quad meshes (one for each view) or directly draw the 2 images on the screen, the minimapview image on top of the playerview image, of course.

fox95871(Posted 2013) [#4]
You might consider fighting entropy, and not even having a map. I say that not to be a dreamsmasher, but because sometimes discarding such modules ahead of time can save you a lot of effort. Shattered memories had no heads up display whatsoever, and it was actually quite wonderful.

Omnicode(Posted 2013) [#5]
Here's what I have on my game.

I'd be happy to explain how I did it.
:D

Btw, Making a circular map involves using two different color-masked images.
Default masking color is 0,0,0 : Use MaskImage Image,ColorR,ColorG,ColorB to change the color that becomes transparent within an image.

Omnicode(Posted 2013) [#6]
Delete.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#7]
Wow, that is nice looking Omnicode.

Omnicode(Posted 2013) [#8]
Thanks, I might post an example code of how to make a circular map. I won't just give that away, i'd like to hope Phoenixx could also understand how it's derived in the process.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#9]
Why not pivot a plain to the camera and draw a sprite there for your map?

stanrol(Posted 2013) [#10]
maybe render-to-texture ?

Omnicode(Posted 2013) [#11]
Render to image is what i used. Being that i could move it around on the screen with relative ease.