Newbie, What is the best way to get .b3d format

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Newbie, What is the best way to get .b3d format

PureDocHale(Posted 2013) [#1]
Greetings & salutations everyone, I have meddled with Blitz before, back in '06. How I miss Tech School. but to the point I and a small group of associates are working on a game project together, and we are wondering what is the best, ie simplest & cheapest, way to get models into the .b3d format.

We have Blitz3d, & the modelers are using blender, amazing free price, for now. We were just wondering how we are going to go about using blender for our animation & texturing needs.

If anyone could offer some insight, I would greatly appreciate it, and thanks to everyone for taking time out to help out a fellow blitzer!

Yasha(Posted 2013) [#2]
There's a Blender plugin that apparently works with the latest Blender being discussed here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=100592

Simple meshes (static and animated respectively) can also be converted with gile[ s ] and PaceMaker (both free), although these are very much intended for creating rather than converting media and may not work on all meshes, and obviously may be limited in what they can in turn import in the first place (can't remember offhand).

Good luck!

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#3]
you can use cinema 4d i got plugin for exporting b3d

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#4]
a powerful converter and uv mapper is uu3d, ultimate unwrapper 3d, tho no freebie. then there is Fragmotion to convert and animate. CharacterFX is an other animator with B3D export, but smaller and became freeware if i recall correctly. tho it cannot umport animations.

I was using Fragmotion to convert the animated Directx9 NPCs sold on the Darkbasic pro site.

I once tried blender and thought it was very unintuitive, but if you can handle it, may be nice to have an all in one solution.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#5]
Curious as to after all of these years, why choose B3D?

PureDocHale(Posted 2013) [#6]
Hey everyone, thanks for all the tips & advice on programs to use for the games modeling needs, the team and I will explore all of these avenues.

- hey GaryV, I decided to take up Blitz3d again after being out of tech school since '06 because I have a personal philosophy to try and stick with & develop upon what I know. An attempt to keep it simple ig. I plan on eventually moving up to a paid game engine, or use BMax with a good engine, but for now Blitz3d and its familiarity is a good way to re-imerse myself into game design.

- again I appreciate everyone's support, the blitz forums have always been amazingly helpful
, cheers!

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#7]
Why dont you go for blitzmax instead. get all the power.
blitz3d is not object oriented

skidracer(Posted 2013) [#8]
Because he wants to stick with something he knows and Blitz3D has you know, 3D built in with a massive collection of resources and tutorials that will "just work"?

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#9]

blitz3d is not object oriented

[derision]
It is commonly known that video games programmed with an oo way are far better than the others.
[/derision]

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#10]
Ive done the transfer
It will be a shame to invest so much time and then realize you are limited.

The Difference is not that big.

If you know blitz3D all you need is either use Xors3D plugin
or miniB3d and you back at home..

I Just want to save his guy the time Ive spent..

There is alot of support for blitzmax as well.

Just Do Import Xors3D and your back at home :)
whats the diffrence?

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#11]
If you know blitz3D all you need is either use Xors3D plugin

Xors3D is just as dead, deprecated, unsupported and buggy as B3D is. You are not gaining anything with X3D. Problems with B3D aside, at least there are still some active users who can help with workarounds for any issues you encounter. I have been considering getting B3D myself.

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#12]
Well. Lets hope for thr best

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#13]
I've head this a lot lately myself about Blitz3d being too old. While opinions are welcome it's not the tools that make the game. Its what the developer does with those tools that really matters. Sometimes people don't have the time, money, or a modern enough machine to support moving to a newer language or set of tools.

You got to ask yourself this what will moving over to something like the UDK or Untity bring to your project? I hate it when I see very simple games using bloom lighting and fancy effects for no other reason that they can. If you goal is simplicity then I see no problems sticking with Blitz3d.

For example:
If Markus Persson said to any big company "I want to make a multiplayer game filled with millions of blocks and program it in Java" he would have been laughed out of the office. He has made millions with minecraft despite how horrible Java is for creating a game. (I can't play minecrat without optifine.) If your end product is fun and polished to a certain degree your users won't care what you programed it in.

So is Blitz3d old? Yes. Does is still work? Yes. I really dislike the logic that just because something is old you shouldn't use it. This is why I ultimately gave up on supporting any development tools by Microsoft. Whenever something new comes out it pretty much depreciates all your old work and often makes it incompatible with newer releases. While in school I did some programing in the MFC and it was hell.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#14]
I hate it when I see very simple games using bloom lighting and fancy effects for no other reason that they can.

Do not click on any thread that has "Candy" or "Light of Dreams" in the title.

skidracer(Posted 2013) [#15]

Xors3D is just as dead, deprecated, unsupported and buggy as B3D is.

Could you please elaborate. Blitz3D is stable, still has an active community for support and is still on sale.

Unless you are trying to undermine a product that continues to pay the bills around here I can see no other reason for this FUD.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#16]
Could you please elaborate. Blitz3D is stable, still has an active community for support and is still on sale.

Why the lack of candor in quoting out of context? Apparently, you disagree with me that B3D is the better of the two. I have already outlined why I think B3D is better than Xors3D, the active community providing help, being the reason. Perhaps you can explain why you think Xors3D is a better product than B3D?

If B3D does not meet the needs of somebody, I strongly suggest looking at BlitzMax and miniB3D, but Max and Xors3D would not be recommended. Xors3D is dead, deprecated, unsupported and buggy, which, ironically, are the main reasons most people give for using something else instead of B3D.

As to the state of B3D, you said it best three years ago in a discussion about a conflict on an Intel GPU. The bolding is mine, nothing is out of context as I quoted the whole paragraph:

The fact Blitz is failing to perform in a more restricted environment simply points to the fact Blitz3D has never IMHO been a fully compliant DirectX7 design and given the ability to reproduce Mark will fix another assumption he has made regarding state of 1 of 7300 caps that could be tested in the course of providing compatability.

DirectX7 is a deprecated API. When something is built on a legacy API and was never fully compliant (your words, not mine) with that API, then there are issues that will arise. At least with B3D, as I have stated before, there are people in the community to help with with any workarounds if you encounter a problem. You will NOT find that support with Xors3D.

Had the issues in Blitz3D SDK been fixed (instead of yanking the product), and perhaps the audio portion removed (where many of the issues seemed to be), people who wanted a syntactically better language than B3D would be able to use BlitzMax and the tried and true engine they love. Instead those wanting 3D are either leaving for products like Unity (which is horrid) or trying to use third-party engines like Xors3D which inevitably implode as soon as the product gains momentum and tech support issues start flooding the developers who then get overwhelmed and abandon ship.

BlitzMax still has a LOT of life in it. I strongly recommend BlitzMax and miniB3D or Blitz3D over Xors3D any day. YMMV.

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#17]
Other than the ease of use with Maya, Unity doesn't seam like my cup of tea. (or coffee) What do you think about Leadwerks GaryV?

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#18]
What do you think about Leadwerks GaryV?

I have never used it. I can't comment on it.