Returning

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Returning

Kirkkaf13(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello everyone,

I purchased Blitz3d about 3-4 years ago as a hobby, I didn't really get to grips with it as I was quite new to programming at the time. I put Blitz aside while I worked on my professional career within pharmaceuticals.

I am now ready to pick Blitz3d back up in my spare time and would like some advise on how to get started as you once did?

Thank you.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#2]
First i suggest to learn about the commands Debuglog() and Print(), this will allow you to see what your program is doing.
Then to learn about the different kinds of variables (byte, short, int, float, string)
Then to learn about the different kinds of entities in blitz3d, how to load|create|delete a camera, a listener, a pivot, a mesh, a material, a texture, a sound.
Then to learn how to position, rotate, move, turn an entity.
Then to retrieve an entity x,y,z pitch,yaw,roll
Then to learn how to set an entity as a child of another entity or as free.
Then to learn how to store|retrieve several entities and variables of the same kind in an array or a type
Then to create|use a function
Then to draw text on the screen

With this you will manage to do a simple game.

To learn all of this, you can find several tutorials on youtube or on some websites, you can find explanations about the Blitz3d functions in the Blitz3d manual (see at the top of this page in the menu), and you can read the many code examples there are in the code archives.

That's my ideas at the moment

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#3]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Manuals/_index_.php

Get used to looking this over as you will need to reference it often. You may want to try making a simple 2d game first but working in 3d isn't that much more difficult once you get a grasp of developing the right framework. Experiment and look at example code, once you start becoming fluent with the language you should be able to have a simple game working in a day or so.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#4]
NostalgicAlgorithms>>Thanks for the link.
I have tried to copy paste it on my tablet but it didn't work so i wrote "(see at the top of this page in the menu)"

Ahahah :D

_PJ_(Posted 2013) [#5]
Have a try of the tutorials avavailable, and see if any of it begins to make sense.

If so, have a crack at maybe changing the examples to do something different (onyly very small, simple changes)- i.e. get twice as many points for shooting a thing, or start with more lives etc.

This could all take from hours, days to weeks but if you do seem to be able to get to grips with it, then you're well on your way and could perhaps then start on making a simple game of your own(Many suggest "Pong" as a good starting game to try)

If you have any trouble or questions along the way, don't hesitate to shout on these forums!

Kirkkaf13(Posted 2013) [#6]
Thank you for your replies and support. I have actually managed to find the Blitz3D manual and Blitz3D for teens books I brought and I believe there is a pong example within that I can have a play around with.

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#7]
1) You need to set yourself small projects, demos or games that are easy enough to complete in one sitting while still giving you return by teaching you something new.
Make a particle system. Make a simple AI. Make a 3rd person camera.
Most of these things will have you programming recyclable code - that is, code that can be reused in other situations.
You can collect and organize your code from these small projects into your own game library\framework that will make it easier to get big game projects completed fast.

2) The Code Archives in this website store a wealth of code. There's just so much stuff, most of which produced several years ago when these forums where thriving with active users.
There are several complex algorithms (interpolation, polygon clipping, Windows API etc.) translated to blitz code there, and most are coupled with example usage. Whenever I find some complex technique on the web, I tend to search here if someone's already implemented it in blitz code (which is easier to read and translate to other languages).
There's no reason not to spend hours looking up stuff there.

3) Don't forget there's a Blitz3D tutorials subforum around here.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#8]
Also a website with articles and tutorials for Blitz3d : http://iadbungler.free.fr/bcoder/articles.shtml

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#9]
Also simply parse the command reference from within the IDE and try those given examples.

John Blackledge(Posted 2013) [#10]
http://iadbungler.free.fr/bcoder/articles.shtml

Yikes! BlitzCoder lives!
All my original code came from there.
Oooh - I've gone all sentimental.