Two swap files on one drive?

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Two swap files on one drive?

andy_mc(Posted 2011) [#1]
I've got my laptop dual booting Windows 7 and Windows XP

I have an external Sata drive which I run Windows XP on and then run windows 7 on the internal SSD drive.

I want to move the XP swap file onto the SSD drive, but it complains there's already a swap file there (this is the windows 7 swap file). How can I make it to have two swap files on the same drive? Moving my Windows XP swap file to the SSD drive should speed it up.

JazzieB(Posted 2011) [#2]
Not sure if you can have two on the same drive/partition. I have XP and Vista and created a separate partition for each solely for a swap file. You may have to do the same.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
I don't think there is a way to store pagefile.sys anywhere else than the root folder of a drive - but is a workaround to share the drive anyway: You can resize your existing paritition on your SSD to something slightly smaller, and create a second partition on the remaining space to use for the other swapfile.
(You may be able to do that straight from the windows 7 partition manager, depending on the partition type, or otherwise through a 3rd party program like partition manager)

You can have windows 7 put its swap file on the C:\ drive as it currently is, and have windows XP put its swap file on your newly created secondary partition on the SSD (D:, E:, F:, whatever drive letter it assigned there)