Access Denied in Windows XP Home Edition

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Access Denied in Windows XP Home Edition

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#1]
I am receiving this error on a folder I created on a separate (Internal) HD Partition.

The folder only contains documents but for some reason, Windows began lockign me out.
I have tried running XCACLS from the command line to grant full control, but eve nthis gives an access denied error.

Does anyone know a way to allow Admin user access on Windows XP Home edition, since the security permissions of the MMC are only available in the Pro Edition.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
You can get the 'security' tab in XP Home simply by starting it in safe mode using an account with administrative rights. From there you can (re)take ownership of a folder/file, and reset the access permissions.

Alternatively, you can download Microsoft's 'Security Configuration Manager' so you won't need to go into safe mode.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#3]
Nope, didn't work... the rights were totally removed (even for "System", so no users had the rights to change the active cotrol lists or the security tab :(

Fortunately though, the sub-folders were accessible despite the parent being locked, so I was able to copy the contents elsewhere and re-format the partition. Phew.
Thanks, though xlsior I downloaded that security config manager for future reference :)

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
That sounds like you may have had a small corruption on your NTFS volume -- you may want to do a checkdisk with repair, just in case you have other errors looming in the background...

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#5]
Yeah I took care of that. Thanks again though.
There were errors in the security descriptors and E:\$Secure:$SDS:$DATA amongf a few others which could possibly explain it.
Annoying and potentially serious situation, but I think it's sorted now, and fortunately I didn't lose any data!

Incidentally, the Security Configuration Manager and Microsoft's Security Baseline are both incompatible with Windows XP Home version. Microsoft really don't want home users to be able to fix security/ACL related issues it seems :(

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#6]
Has nothing to do with that but XP Home didn't have the right management stuff etc. That was part of XP Pro

XP Home like the lowest Vista / Win7 license class seems generally to be more targeted at people barely able to startup their pc or kiosk machines

pc_tek(Posted 2010) [#7]
XP Home has an option to enable security control on files/folders.

Simply untick the "Use simple...blah' on the folder options...its been a long time and I can't remember what the thing is...all I know is that its at the bottom of the list somewhere.

I know this thread is old, but I thought it worth a mention.

_PJ_(Posted 2015) [#8]
The issue was not with viewing the security tab, but with being able to change the security permissions which had been corrupted somehow.
The features missing from WindowsXP Home are the security policy MMC for group or individual user right management which, if they were present, would have meant it was able to override.

Anyway, it was all sorted out in the end.

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#9]
Anyway, it was all sorted out in the end.

...5 years ago, presumably? :-?