Blitz program not working in Win7

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Blitz program not working in Win7

spacerat(Posted 2009) [#1]
I wasn't sure weather to post this here or in blitzmax programming, but basically, here is the problem. I released this program on the forum and it did nothing and ran at 100% CPU for the 64bit Windows 7 user, but not the 64bit Vista user. It uses maxGUI and OpenGL. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Does blitz have a problem with Windows 7?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
- What is your program actually doing?
- Does it run properly on Windows Vista 64 bit? Windows 7 is very, very similar to Vista, after all
- Are you trying to write any data to locations that may be out of bounds on Vista/Windows 7? With UAC enabled, the OS will intercept a bunch of system calls and block them

spacerat(Posted 2009) [#3]
1) It's a puzzle game. It loads a picture, splits it into a number of parts, shuffles them, then you rotate them around to get them to their original arrangement.

2) Yes, it runs perfectly in 64bit and 32 bit vista.

3) No, I'm not.

Muttley(Posted 2009) [#4]
It works absolutely fine here on Windows 7 64bit.

I do all my dev work on Windows 7, and I've not had any issues with stuff written in BlitzMax

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
Are you using GrabImage? That has problems on some setups.

[edit] eek. month-old thread!

*(Posted 2009) [#6]
did you add a Delay(1) as the last command in the main loop?

Luke111(Posted 2009) [#7]
Good idea edzup. Maybe an end command or similar might be helpful.

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#8]
Norton Internet Security 2010 detects it as a threat and removes the file. Ha don't you just love Anti Virus products for blindingly removing applications that you're trying to run without giving you enough information what the said application is trying to do.
Otherwise it works perfectly on Windows7 (64bit).

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#9]
This is a longshiot, I dont have any experience with (Windows 7 personally - or BMax for that matter) but in testing a B3D prog, one of the testers alerted me to the fact that al;l apps in Windows 7 are run in virtual directories which are copies of the executable's root directory. Therefore, only files created by the program locally (as opposed to being specifically pointed to a complete filepath such as: C:\Programs\Blah\) or files present on installation can be read by the app.

Otherwise, what happpens is, the program searches within the copied local folder for the file as opposed to the original installation directory (which is kept locked for security purposes)

Sorry if this isnt very clear!

--- incidentally---
I'm not sure how this works with regards to patches and updates, but if they're run on the main Programs folder or installed with a dedicated installer then I think they will correctly patch the main prog.