How do I get one dll off my windows XP disc?

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/How do I get one dll off my windows XP disc?

sswift(Posted 2009) [#1]
I need to pull imm32.dll off there, as mine was infected by a virus and I had to delete it but it sounds like an important component, so I need to replace it.

Ked(Posted 2009) [#2]
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?imm32

sswift(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks, I figured it out. Though I got a winlogon.exe error after I installed it and rebooted. I hope that's not permanent or damaging.

Luke111(Posted 2009) [#4]
I guess a download would be significantly easier than my reccomendation of downloading and extracting a iso version of win xp in a virus infected torrent and getting it that way. Thx. Its helpful. Try dll-dump.com as well. less viruses.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#5]
In general: the files on the XP disc are compressed. In the case of imm32.dll, you should see an imm32.dl_ file on the CD.

You can extract this using the 'expand' command line tool.

Alternatively, if it's not a .dl_ file, it may be inside of one of the .cab's. You can also use expand to extract files from a .cab.

Finally: If you restore a file from your CD, it could be an older version than the rest of the system expects which can lead to other problems (e.g. it may have been replaced by a newer version through a later hotfix or servicepack)

If possible, the easiest fix may be to do a system restore to a point in time *before* the problems started in the first place. alternatively, you may need to re-install your servicepacks and/or hotfixes to get the proper version of the file back on there.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#6]
Or you could run:

sfc /scannow

Also, reinstalling the latest Service Pack would probably fix it, as that file is probably included.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#7]
yes, running sfc\scannow is the best option.

I hope you're computer is virus free now, a Winlogon.exe error is very possibly a result of damage/corruption caused by the virus, or evidence that the virus is still lurking around!
Affecting the winlogon too means that they can't be easily removed from witihin windows, you might need to boot up in console mode.

Have a quick search on Google for Dr. Web CureIT as this whilst not the best anti-malware thing around, certainly seems to cater more for the likes of rootkis and other such very hard-to find/remove nasties.