Computer startup troubles

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Computer startup troubles

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#1]
My Computer keeps having start up troubles. It only started yesterday and was absolutely rock solid before this. I switched on the power, it then powers up for a couple of seconds and then resets before anything is displayed on screen. It did it again today and I cannot understand what is happening as once it does start all is fine. It doesn`t crash at all when running.

The only thing that is different is that I have installed Vista SP2 recently. Could this be the cause? I`m doubtful as it quits so early on in the boot up process.

Any other ideas? This is a new PC so it is quite puzzling and annoying as you can imagine.

Jason.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
My guess would be the power button itself -- the ATX power supply used in any modern computer will automatically cut the power when the powerbutton is held down for 5 seconds, which seems to match your description.

I can't think of anything else that popped up out of the blue with these symptoms, where everything still works fine when you do manage to boot up.

It could be either the button cover itself, or something internal to the power switch shorting out intermittently. I've had this happen to one of my old computers where a small plastic peg inside the button broke off, which caused it to occasionally get lodged at an angle and continue to make the connection after I wasn't pressing on it any more.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks xlsior, I`m going to have a look inside the tower next to see if anything stands out. Thanks for your help.

Jason.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#4]
Looks fine inside, now will not start at all :( Powers up then resets straight away without getting to any type of display, cannot even get to bios?

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Jason.

*(Posted 2009) [#5]
I would have said it could be the PSU, Memory or Fans

My PC has startup troubles, three times it starts fine. Next it doesnt start till I unplug it and then press the power button to disperse the stored power. Then it starts perfect again.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#6]
I starting to think the PSU too now. Would it power up at all though if this was the case?

Jason.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#7]
I guess it could even be the motherboard itself, since the power status is controlled through the motherboard on an ATX system. (It's never truly off unless you kill the electricity before it hits the powersupply)

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#8]
I think its most likely the PSU too. Second that it could be the MB or bios shutting it down because of another failiure.

When you plug the PC speaker in do you get any diagnostic beeps? If not then it is most likely the PSU/MB rather than CPU memory or video card etc..

Another thing to look for is 'bursting' capacitors on the mainboard. They have a cross on top of them that bulges up massively and bleed if they are dead. (Be aware that some bulge up a bit and are still ok, its only the ones that bulge excessively and are bleeding a hard brown goo. These are pretty obvious)
I have had a few like this with symptoms you describe.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#9]
Except bulding/burst capacitors would have a continuous effect of instability: the PC wouldn't continue to work without problems when it finally does boot properly. You'll have all kinds of unexpected crashes and errors.... At least, that's what I've ran into with bad capacitors.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#10]
Well the PC stopped working completely a few days back so it was obviously something on it's way out. I'll update again when I found out what it was.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Jason.