Building Modules Slow

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Building Modules Slow

Otus(Posted 2009) [#1]
Has anyone else noticed that BlitzMax is seriously slow in building modules on Windows? If I do a "Build modules" with nothing to build, it still takes 1-2 minutes. On a linux virtual machine with the same modules it takes more like 1-2 seconds. To a lesser extent, the same is true when building documentation or executables.

I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my system, or if it just has to do with NTFS or MinGW or something.

I used to only use a very old laptop for Windows programming, so I just assumed the slowness was because of the whole computer being slow.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
How do the # of files you have in your mod folders compare between both systems?

I've found that rebuilding modules on my PC has gotten a lot slower as my mod folder has gotten larger, even when there's nothing to rebuild.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
I also find that bmk on Windows seems a bit slower at working through all the modules to determine if they need to be built or not.

It might well be the filesystem.

Linux feels particularly quick at iterating over the files.
My Mac too.
Interestingly, if I do a cross-compile on the Mac, it runs much more quickly (than Windows in VM running off a diskfile - although the compile times are similar) - but then the files are on the HFS+ filesystem, rather than NTFS.

Otherwise, maybe it just "seems" slow :-)

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#4]
Does the neweset Flat assembler version (released today) helps a bit? -> http://flatassembler.net/download.php

With my new cpu I don't really care about compiling times.
Though official multicore support would be nice. ;)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#5]
Does the neweset Flat assembler version (released today) helps a bit

It shouldn't.
The delays appear to be in the filesystem access.

Although my multi-threaded BMK can half the build-time of the official mods on a multi-core system.

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#6]
Also, the textoutput on the console window is quite slow.
I wish I could tell the compiler to print out the error messages only.