WIndows XP service pack 3 trouble on AMD rig

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/WIndows XP service pack 3 trouble on AMD rig

_33(Posted 2008) [#1]
I have an AMD setup and since I installed XP SP 3, I'm having the "blue screen" fever every couple of days. Is it recommended to uninstall SP3 in the "add / remove program" to fix the problem, or will removing SP3 create new problems?

Anyone else has the "random blue screen" issues with their SP3 and AMD setup?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Nope, its all been fine.

My AMD/XP box does have a "random freezing" problem, though, although that was there prior to XP SP3. Changed the motherboard, RAM, graphics card and CPU, problem remains. PSU next...

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#3]
Are you using an HP system? If so, there is a known issue with SP3 and AMD based HPs.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#4]
Can you post the message that blue screen contains?

_33(Posted 2008) [#5]
Eek, I'll have to get another blue screen to retrieve that pannel. I'll do so when it happens. I have a home built PC, but never had the blue screens until I moved to SP3. I've read that AMD processors and SP3 don't get hand in hand!? Seems like Microsoft have a serious problem on their hands. This is such a serious problem that I'm considering moving to an Intel platform. I'm supposed to do live gigs with my PC and it's unstable. I'll see if I can move back to SP2, maybe create a dual boot.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#6]
Hmm I'm not sure it's a SP3 problem. It can be anything else. Don't judge the problem like that cause someone said AMD platforms has problems with SP3.

I used to have a blue-screen problem which I thought, my ram was causing. Then one day, I uninstalled the Asus Gamer OSD graphics card utility and blue screens gone forever.

_33(Posted 2008) [#7]
Oh! I have OSD installed! Thanks Mortiis :D I'll remove it or prevent it from loading. Any suggestions I'll consider.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#8]
Let me guess, your blue screens have "IRQL Not less or equal" error. This thing also killed my graphics card so I suggest you to get rid of OSD as soon as possible.

I think it cannot cooperate with the new drivers, only designed for default ASUS drivers.

_33(Posted 2008) [#9]
I changed my powerbar today for one massive surge protector power bar that looks a little like this one here (actually it's a bit better that on the image because it has sliding covers for each plugs and the lights are placed elsewhere, but it is relatively the same specs: 3150 joules, 330v clamping):

I tought this might eliminate one source of possible blue screens. Everything computer related is now plugged on this.

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#10]
Is your problem gone now? Just wondering.

I'm using Windows XP Pro on my server with an AMD Sempron 3000+ and upgraded to SP3, still as stable as before. It runs 24/7 and never crashes.

System was installed half a year ago and only needed to restart it when it was time to update it manually. It's a dedicated server for TrackMania and the download part of my website.

I was even forced to update to SP3 so my main Vista Machine would see the shared internet connection again after some updates in Vista.

_33(Posted 2008) [#11]
I love Trackmania dude! It hasn't crashed since I disabled the OSD program. And I also installed a surge powerbar. Hopefully I won't get the blues anymore :)

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#12]
Yep, I bought a UPS and uninstalled OSD, since then everything works great for me too.

By the way, what is your power supply? If it's a default 250-300W, it may cause problems too.

_33(Posted 2008) [#13]
Nah my pozer supply is a ThermalTake ToughPower 600 watts that weights about 2 kilos and is about 1 year old. if there is something solid in my PC, it is really the power supply, in fact. The motherboard is a DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D, the CPU is an Opteron 165. The system is fairly solid. I have Motherboard monitor giving me temps (39 for the CPU, 52 for the PWMIC, 53 for the NF4 chipset). The graphics card is Nvidia also, an 8800GTS 512mb.

I haven't gotten a blue screen since the time I removed the SURGE protector and removed OSD. But it's too close to call it safe yet imho. What bothered me the most was the claims that AMD + SP3 = BSODs, and that in fact I had BSODs lately at unexpected moments. But I installed the 8800GTS and SP3 pretty much at the same time...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-XP-SP3,5334.html
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006932.html

No BSOD yet, but the pooter froze on a defrag while the screensaver was displayed, yesterday night.