Tools that didn't come with your Windows install

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Tools that didn't come with your Windows install

_33(Posted 2008) [#1]
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en

These are called the Windows XP SP2 support tools. It includes WinDiff, which is how I found out that I needed to install this. WinDiff is very practical for comparing two source files. But, there are other tools as well that might be helpful.

Hope this can be useful for someone.

Copied from the release note:
# Activate.exe
# Apmstat.exe
# Bindiff.exe
# Browstat.exe
# Cabarc.exe
# Dsastat.exe
# Dupfinder.exe
# Extract.exe
# IpsecCmd.exe
# Ksetup.exe
# Ktpass.exe
# Ntfrsutil.exe
# Pviewer.exe
# Remote.exe
# Rsdiag.exe
# Setspn.exe
# Timezone.exe
# Tracefmt.exe
# Tracelog.exe
# Tracepdb.exe
# Vfi.exe
# Whoami.exe
# Wsremote.exe

The following tools install when the Complete checkbox is selected during setup. However, the Help for these tools contains the Windows 2000 version and is not included in Suptools.chm. The help for these tools can be launched from the help menu option of the tools or it can also be launched from the command line by typing the help file name directly.
# Apimon.exe -- Apimon.hlp
# Dskprobe.exe -- Dskprobe.hlp
# Windiff.exe -- Windiff.hlp

The following scripts install when the Complete checkbox is selected during setup. Help is not included for these scripts. For more information, see the Iadstools.doc and Clonepr.doc files.
# Clonegg.vbs
# Cloneggu.vbs
# Clonelg.vbs
# Clonepr.vbs
# Search.vbs
# Sidhist.vbs

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#2]
The most useful set of tools that should have come with windows but didn't, are without a doubt anything Sysinternals.com ever made. (They've since been bought out by Microsoft, so you can download their stuff through microsoft.com now)

PLus there's UnixTools, a set of Win32 ports of a large collection of Linux commandline tools. There's still a lot of things where the command line beats the GUI hands down...

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#3]
Process Explorer rocks.

_PJ_(Posted 2008) [#4]
Dunno what you're on about thwere. I got all those tools with my disc.
(original purchase was: Windows XP Home Service Pack 1)

I do find that there's some good software built-in with windows which is useful rather than paying for 3rd party attempts that are nowhere near as good, such as the File Packing/Installer Express 2, Process Explorer (while it's not as good as Sysinternals' version, it's certainly better than the default Task Manager, and yes, Windiff is pretty essential to me :)