Reading EXEs

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Reading EXEs

William Drescher(Posted 2008) [#1]
Can anyone point me in the direction of a website or something that could teach me about how *.exe files are structured? I want to be able to create an application that can run applications.

deps(Posted 2008) [#2]
A quick google gave me this: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/PECOFF.mspx

What are you going to do, write an emulator?
You do know that you can launch them without parsing them?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#3]
If you're making an application that is capable of running 'hosted' applications, take a look to the MaxIDE code, the debuger is doing exactly what you're descriving.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#4]
Can I ask that you don't start multiple threads until you've given enough time for a response to be made?

Application Linking

Unless you are actually wanting to parse an EXE file, in which case this quite rightly is a different issue.

Wotsit (EXE Search)

William Drescher(Posted 2008) [#5]
The Application Linking thread was for a whole different project that I am doing and it's very coincidental that the two threads interlock so closely. I'm not trying to host an application. I want to create an application that reads an exe and executes the code in an entirely separate environment (like a Windows within Windows kind of thing).

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#6]
I want to create an application that reads an exe and executes the code in an entirely separate environment (like a Windows within Windows kind of thing).

Ahhh right!

Did you check out the Wotsit link I gave you above?

William Drescher(Posted 2008) [#7]
Yes I did, and truthfully...none of this stuff makes a lick of sense to me. I'll be looking more into this matter but for now, none of this has any affect on the way I see an PE file. Most of the information has to do with pointers and address and I never understood any of that anyway so I'll have to learn that before I learn about the structure.