Vista?

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Vista?

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2008) [#1]
Alright, Im thinkin about buyin Vista, but, First, I wanna know what problems their are, as of the most resent update.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#2]
1) It is a memory hog. I wouldn't even think about installing Vista unless you have 2GB RAM or more -- it'll run with 1 GB, but it'll be swapping to disk like crazy. Less than 1 GB and it will be a slideshow instead of an OS.

2) It looks like you actually want to use your computer. Allow or Deny?

Anyway, there aren't necesarily any big -problems- anymore after SP1, just the myriad of annoyances, some of which are bigger than others. certain things you can mitigate or work around, other's you're stuck with. There's little benefit to Vista, other than the arguably prettier GUI. I can't really think of any major benefits.

Overall: a resounding "Meh".

(I do run it at my office computer myself. The file finder absolutely bugs the snot out of me though. Anyone know of a basic file finder that's more or less identical to the win2000 finder that'll work proiperly under Vista?)

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#3]
The down side to Vista is you need a decent spec machine to run it and compatible hardware. I have seen many so called Vista Ready machines that can't run it correctly.

A dual core CPU 2.4+ GHz is a must ( Intel recommended )
2 GB DDR2 RAM
nVidia 7600+ or ATI equivalent
SATA Harddrives

Don't believe what MS says about minimal spec's. They are just bull.

And love it or hate it working with the UAC, file permissions and the new directory structure (I have no problems with any of it)

It's best to buy "Windows Vista Inside out" if you do go Vista or "Windows Vista the Missing Manual" and don't go and get Vista edition below Business as certain tools found in the higher editions are a must if you want an easy life.

I find Vista's security big improvement over XP ( You still need Internet security software )

The file finder absolutely bugs the snot out of me though

In what way? The only thing that bugs me is there is no direct link to the advanced search option which is far more powerful than the ones in Win2K and XP.

There are two ways to search
1) From the Start Orb
Start with a file name and if you need to refine your search click the search Every Where menu it which will open the second way to find things.

2) Windows Explorer
Method 1
Type a name into the Search bar and look through the list to find your file

Method 2
Navigate to the location of interest and type a name in the search bar at the top.

Method 3
Type a name in the search bar scroll to the bottom and select Advanced Search or
In the tool bar. Click the Search Tools drop down box select Search Pane to show it at the top. To the right click the Advanced Search hide/show icon.
Here you can select multiple location to search.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#4]
The file finder absolutely bugs the snot out of me though

In what way? The only thing that bugs me is there is no direct link to the advanced search option which is far more powerful than the ones in Win2K and XP.

The vast majority of the time I want to:
1) Searching (unindexed) network drives
2) search for filenames, not file context, not email, not anything else

What really bugs me:

Option #1 doesn't work for non-indexed locations.
Searching through the finder or explorer both have the same annoying glitch:

- If I hit Win+F , the search dialog comes up. So far, so good.
- I want to specify a partial filename. OK.
- Then specify a network location in the location textfield.
- Great, doing that erased my partial filename that I entered in the search field, so I get to re-type it.
- The same things happens the other way around: If I enter the network path first, and then enter a search term, it automatically goes back to my indexed locations instead of the network folder I was just in.

So... no matter which field I do first, I get to enjoy entering one of them twice.

The annoyance is that the OS keeps second-guessing what I'm trying to do. I know the root folder that my files are in, and I know what the filename looks like -- I don't need it to check my outlook email store for content matches, thankyouverymuch.

(To be fair, I also hate the XP search function with a passion, but at least XP has a registry hack that'd give you the old Windows 2000 classic search back, without all the 'enhancements')

I guess the Vista search can be nice if you either have no clue what you're looking for, or don't know where you keep your files, but it sure is annoying when you're not in those categories. :-?

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#5]
Alright, Im thinkin about buyin Vista, but, First, I wanna know what problems their are, as of the most resent update.

If you thinking about upgrading your existing machine, I'd strongly recommend you download Microsoft's Vista readyness tools -- it will check out all your hardware components, and tell you whether or not there are any known compatibility issues. (e.g. your webcam / printer / scanner / soundcard / networkcard / videocard / all of the above may not be compatible with Vista. always nice to know up front whether you'll be able to use them after the upgrade.

Secondly, make sure that you know which version to get. there's a lot of different flavors of vista, most notably both the 32-bit and 64-bit editions. both have good and bad things: the 64-bit edition can access >4GB of RAM, but there's quite a few programs that are not compatible and refuse to run on it. Especially important when it comes to device drivers, since you need to make sure that there are Vista x64 drivers available for all your hardware components, and many older hardware doesn't have these.
The 32-bit version of Vista has less compatibility problems, but you can't use more than 3.25 GB or so of RAM (the exact amount depends on your motherboard)

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#6]
@ xlsior
have you tried using Windows Desktop Search: Add-in for Files on Microsoft Networks for indexing Networked drives? ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f7e981d9-5a3b-4872-a07e-220761e27283&displaylang=en&Hash=JTm30aLPjk8x6t3Iwvuw5fB4oT4UZwCHlFCp91/n8tt/boVeoV5DX44yzu8Kc0nwblWBgezWUaA/rnMU9FWNYg%3d%3d )
When installed reboot and just open Indexing Options in the control panel and Modify button to add a network drives to index.

I don't know if it will work on any edition below Business.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#7]
When installed reboot and just open Indexing Options in the control panel and Modify button to add a network drives to index.

I don't want to index network drives -- I just want a functional no-nonsense search, like the previous windows versions had. I'll take ine without the bells and wistles...

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2008) [#8]
Uh.. I was thinking about buying a new laptop all together. It looks like Im going to buy Vista After all. You think i shouldnt go with the 64 one then? Now heres a new question: What do you guys think about alienware. From what I see (im getting a laptop.) they are pretty good. The only thing i heard was that to get it repaired you have to send it back to the company to get it fixed, and you cant take it to the geeksquad, or something, or the company will void your warranty, and not help you at all. What are the pros and cons of Alienware.

Here it is: Linkage

This is the base model, i added 2 gigs of ram, vista ultimate, and some other stuff. At the end it was all about $1800. That includes shipping, and the $100+ tax

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#9]
What do you guys think about alienware

It's a Dell.

Literally, they bought the company a while back.

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2008) [#10]
hmmm... are you serious? I believe you but i got a friend who is not as easily swayed. can you show me where you found that. im curious as well to here more.

edit: nevermind. dude i hate dell! how can this happen?

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#11]
http://www.dailytech.com/Dell+Buys+Alienware/article1381.htm

edit: nevermind. dude i hate dell! how can this happen?

Short answer: When you have over 50 billion dollar in sales per year, you can make lots of things happen.

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2008) [#12]
so... your advising no. do you know a reasonably priced gaming laptop that has a decent video card, 2+gigs of ram, has litescribe, and is black?

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#13]
so... your advising no. do you know a reasonably priced gaming laptop that has a decent video card, 2+gigs of ram, has litescribe, and is black?

No idea, I've never looked for gaming laptops.

What I do know is that the two people I know that purchased Alienware desktops both ended up with hardware problems, and in both cases Alienware pretty much told them "too bad", refusing to do anything about it... Despite still being under warranty.

And while they have since been taken over by Dell, it isn't a good sign that Dell is currently facing a class-action lawsuit against giving their home users the run-around when it comes to supplying the promised warranty support as well. (As opposed to their corporate/goverment support, which is second to none)

But despite all of that: You'll have very few options when it comes to gaming laptops, especially if you also want 'reasonably priced'.
Portability & battery life are the polar opposite of high-powered, high-heat components required for modern gaming, and most laptop makers focus on the first items rather than the latter.

*(Posted 2008) [#14]
My main quagmire of Vista is the hardware driver requests, even if you tell it 'Dont ask me again for this device' you can guarantee it will ask again the next time you start up.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#15]
My main quagmire of Vista is the hardware driver requests, even if you tell it 'Dont ask me again for this device' you can guarantee it will ask again the next time you start up.

Every time I reboot my work Vista PC it will ask me to re-install the drivers for my media cart reader... click OK, and it will do it, and claims all is OK. It can use the device, but on the next bootup it will bug me again.

Even weirder, if I remote desktop into the workstation from another computer and later log in on the physical machine again, it also claims to need to install the card reader drivers again.

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2008) [#16]
This is all killing me. I want an alienware cause they look and are supposedly really fast and generally cool. I went on youtube about that computer to see some reviews of people that have them. Some guy has three, and says their tech support is good, cause they are actually in english (cough) *microsoft*. And some other guy said they dont overheat, i found one review of a bad thing that had happened, but he said it got fixed easily. And then there is the people on blitz. I guess i trust you guys more than them, cause alot of people on youtube are morons. I think im gonna send alienare an e-mail or something.

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#17]
Looking at the question on top I would say that Vista looks great with all options enabled like aero, but this means the battery of a notebook will deplete a lot sooner if the GFX card is fully used.

I would say if you need the following :

- Powerfull good looking GUI with all gfx options enabled
- Best CPU and GFX speeds
- Longlife battery

You can best decide what is the most important.

If I would have to choose a brand in notebooks I would go for Acer. They have some nice and fast Ferrari models, but that is just me talking.

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2008) [#18]
Here is my other option. I have heard amazing things about ACER, and this computer has a great price, and the specs are amazing. Blueray, 3 gigs of memory, blueray, fingerprint recognition, 250 gig harddrive, hooks up to an hd tv, has a subwoofer in the laptop... has a really sweet videocard. 2.5 hours of battery... the list goes on.... unless i find something better, im gonna go with this.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#19]
Just noticed this thread. I feel I have to point out that a lot of people are talking complete nonsense.

I run Vista Home Premium on a laptop; Pentium Dual Core @ 1.4GHz, 2GB RAM, on-board Intel GMA graphics. It runs perfectly.

I also run Vista Ultimate on an Athlon XP3000+ @ 2.16GHz, 1.5GB DDR RAM, 7600GT 256MB graphics. It runs perfectly. This is not a modern system!

Both systems use Aero. I use both systems for software and web development work, and also for video/photo work. The laptop, a Compaq Presario C700, runs for a good 3 hours or more on its battery.

I would not go back to XP in a hundred million years. Vista is awesome to use.

I'd wager a particularly large turnip that a lot of people who moan about Vista problems are using knocked off/beta/RC copies. I can think of no other reason why people would think Vista is bad.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#20]
I have been running Vista at homne for a few eeks now and i really like it as well. Just ordered a tablet with Vista on it as well.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#21]
I'd wager a particularly large turnip that a lot of people who moan about Vista problems are using knocked off/beta/RC copies. I can think of no other reason why people would think Vista is bad.

There's a lot of areas where Vista is three steps back from XP, some where it's a step or two forwards, and a lot of areas where it's seventeen steps to the left or right for no fathomable reason.

A lot of the major issues have been fixed in SP1 (e.g. before SP1 the throughput speed of gigabit ethernet NIC's would drop to 1% of their capacity if you happened to be playing any music at the same time -- there's no excuse for crap like that)

But one thing is certain: For Vista to be even remotely happy, you need to have a crapton of memory. The 1.5GB you have is about the minimum you can use and not have it grind to a halt. 1GB isn't enough for anything but the most basic use...

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#22]
As someone pointed out earlier, memory is really cheap these days.

Unless you have a Mac though, I'm guessing.

Cp(Posted 2008) [#23]
If you are running XP, I just want to warn you of MANY Incompatibilities with XP software. I can't run a LOT of things on vista.

ooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooDon't Upgrade!!oooo
ooooooooooooooooooooo

Rck(Posted 2008) [#24]

If you are running XP, I just want to warn you of MANY Incompatibilities with XP software. I can't run a LOT of things on vista.

ooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooDon't Upgrade!!oooo
ooooooooooooooooooooo

Cp, what incompatibilities have you experienced with running Vista vs XP?

I had been dual booting XP and Vista for many months and in the past few months I switched to Vista only, still happy. Vista even recognized my IR remote port while XP still has it unrecognized.

Cp(Posted 2008) [#25]
Lots of programming stuff, psp modding tools, image converters, games, etc. etc.
Some stuff works but not a lot of it.
NOTE:I looked at the halo box in the store, and behold!,vista is not compatible! :(

dynaman(Posted 2008) [#26]
For Vista I have a couple of items that do not work.

First is two combat mission games. CMBB and CMAK do not work well enough to use on Vista (some graphics problem between Nvidia and Vista). Although they run they are so slow as to be unusable. Others list them as not even running.

Second is the VPN software we use at work does not yet work with vista, with no ETA for when it will.

Other then that Vista is fine, I would never buy it if I had XP, but I would not put XP on my Vista machine either.

plash(Posted 2008) [#27]
civ4 doesn't run on vista.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#28]
One of my wireless cards did not work with Vista. But I took it out and traded with my Kids' wireless card. They are still running XP on their machine.

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#29]
I am just very amazed on how compatible everything in Vista is compared to XP, even Windows Server 2008 is very downwards compatible, in my case I could use some Win2k and WinXp drivers when drivers were needed.

There where some troubles at start (like every windows version) and most software and games I want to use up and running.

I only had trouble with games using x-trap (some kind anti hack utility build in some games) which told you that your Windows files are incorrect, even after 1 year after Vista release this problem still existed.

With older games you need to keep in mind that it's somethimes best to deactivate UAC for better compatibility.

Doing this more then 95% of your software that worked under XP will run directly.
And if you run into a problem, use google to get even more titles going, even Civilization IV.

I think that upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP was a bigger step, because the loss of MS-Dos. Couldn't play 30% of my older games that time that where MS-Dos based.

For Vista you need to use a decent PC, and don't expect it to run fine when installing it on a PC which meets the minimum specs. All Aero stuff is handled by the GPU, that is why you need a good graphics card. If you do Vista will run very smoothly.

LiamShearer(Posted 2008) [#30]
I found that if you don't upgrade to SP1, you cannot run BF2 or various other things. But when you do you obviously can.

I could never map my server drive, for some reason Vista never picked up the server through any method, well the other XP computers in the house (9 of them) did. So I went out to the store and bought the last copy of WinXP, since they don't make CD's any more :( What are we supposed to be left with? Vista? They (Microsoft) set themselves up for a boycott, I have other options now, Linux is one, and Mac is another.

*(Posted 2008) [#31]
gfk wrote:

I have Vista Ultimate edition sent to me by Microsoft themselves, tbh its a loverly OS just got fed up with the 'constant' requests for drivers for a lite-on DVD-RW that I have. There are no drivers available for it otherwise I would still be using it TBH.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#32]
Our school campus is turning into a laptop campus, and I got a 2.8 GigaHertz Dual Core 2 Gigabyte Ram and it is SOOOO COOL!!! Blitz 3d works Great on vista (very fast). The only problem is the Graphics Card and the screen size(1440*900).