Stupid Servers, tricks are for kids!

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Stupid Servers, tricks are for kids!

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hey, guess what my friends computer's problem is?
you guessed it.
SERVER PROBLEM!
so before you go and shoot yourself, i need some help.

He's got a local county telephone company's crappy dial-up connection and has a pop3 server at that connection. He uses outlook express and it's worked fine so far but the sending of messages seems to be screwy. I can recieve on it but not send e-mail. It says the server failed. Now, this has been going on for 2+ weeks, so that seems kinda strange. The two local technicians couldn't fix it.
Help?

Jake L.(Posted 2007) [#2]
I only can give you a blind guess from here, but most providers are using different names for pop (receiving) and smtp (sending) mailservers. So maybe you should try to set the smtp-server's adress to "smtp.myprovider.com" instead of "pop3.myprovider.com".

Another issue could be that anonymous smtp is not allowed, so you have to authenticate before sending some mails. Usually this is done via "pop before smtp". Google for that, there are solutions to achieve this with Outlook Express (as far as I know only Outlook 2000 or greater supports this).

Good luck
Jake

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks so much
Turned out that it defaulted to local connetion instead of the internet and it's .com instead f .web for the server address.
(It's tricky when it's not your computer to troubleshoot)

William Drescher(Posted 2007) [#4]
You mean that you/he had technicians work on that and they couldn't fix it, but people on a forum helped you? Were they prof. technicians?

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#5]
they were small-town techs

Leon Drake(Posted 2008) [#6]
whats the population 4?

Fuller(Posted 2008) [#7]
wow, talk about timing on a joke (just kidding)

Nah, the population is 5.