Vista Problem - Please answer!

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Vista Problem - Please answer!

William Drescher(Posted 2007) [#1]
This has probably been asked before, but, are all the Blitz Basic programs compatible with Windows Vista?
i.e. Blitz Basic, BlitzMax, BlitzPlus, etc.

Please help me before I get Vista!

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#2]
This has probably been asked before, but, are all the Blitz Basic programs compatible with Windows Vista?
i.e. Blitz Basic, BlitzMax, BlitzPlus, etc.

Please help me before I get Vista!

Yes, with a couple of caveats:

Depending on what video card you have and the drivers it uses, support for OpenGL may be attrocious on your PC. That means that any BlitzMax game that is compiled to default to OpenGL might see a major performance hit until good drivers are released for the card you use... (Or of course you can recompile to use DirectX and work around that)

People have reported that Blitz+ and B3D work as well on their vista system, although you should make sure that you have the latest updates installed or you might run into some problems with the 'NX' (No Execute) safety feature that's enabled by default which has issues with older releases of B3d and BlitzPlus generated executables.

(That also means that programs you compiled years ago with B3D/BlitzPlus could potentially have problems running under Vista and some XP systems unless recompiled with the later updates installed)

By the way -- please don't use such misleading subject titles for your message...

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#3]
If you're using BlitzMax then be aware of the sound issues around the default audio driver, as there is a one second delay whenever a sound effect is played. This has now been resolved with the introduction of alternative audio drivers, including DirectSound and OpenAL, so it's just a matter of setting one of those on a Vista set-up. It is possible to detect which version of Windows is being used within your app to set audio and/or graphics drivers accordinhly (see the Dectecting Vista thread in the Windows section).

The only other problem I had initially, although not a Blitz related one, was with the installer I use not setting up programs for use by all accounts on the same PC. This was easily resolved by repackaging them.

Other than that all of my B3D and BlitzMax stuff now works without any problems.

Tricky(Posted 2007) [#4]
The only problem with my BMax apps so far in Vista was that suddenly the sound "hangs"... Keeps repeating the last fraction of a second and that it refuses to play anything else. The Graphics and the rest of the program do still work normally then....

Filax(Posted 2007) [#5]
Blitzmax debug mode under vista is a crap !! The app is closed
by vista and blitzmax don't receive the message. Result you
never know where the bug is :/

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#6]
Blitzmax debug mode under vista is a crap !! The app is closed
by vista and blitzmax don't receive the message. Result you
never know where the bug is :/

I've been using BlitzMax on Vista for a few months now and I don't have any consistently occuring problems with compiling programs under Debug Mode. Mind you, I do have UAC turned off if that makes any difference. :P

Filax(Posted 2007) [#7]
"I do have UAC turned off if that makes any difference."

I do too :) But i get many problems in debug mode. There
is no problems with windows XP (with the same source code).

mintybreath(Posted 2007) [#8]
Someone probably already answered this in the mass of posts above mine, but Blitzbasic is compatible with vista. I have a vista laptop that i use to code and watch tv at the same time. :)

As for the BlitzPlus, and BlitzMax, i would assume they are, but have no real knowlege of the matter.

VP(Posted 2008) [#9]
I usually boot into XP if I want to be in 'productive' mode (BlitzMax, PHP, Reason etc). Vista is just for DX10 gaming. I do have BlitzMax installed in Vista (64-bit) but I do have to remind myself to run it as administrator.

I may just turn UAC off. I'm just really avoiding Vista because it's not as responsive as XP. I will see what SP1 brings.