Tips to get MINGW working on MS VISTA

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Tips to get MINGW working on MS VISTA

dawlane(Posted 2007) [#1]
First things first "Don't hold a grudge" if these tips are a little in accurate and they are aimed at people with a little know how.

As I write this I'm currently compiling wxWidgets-2.6.3 (will let you know if I get it to compile. Keep getting conflicting declaration 'typdef int boolean' in jmorecfg.h)

First I installed MINGW (not onto the drive that holds the OS though you can do it).

Next I had to set up some Enviroment variables to let Windows know where to find MinGW(there are two ways to do this
1... Create a batch file (the safe method) like the sample below.
2... Edit the Windows Enviroment Variable Directly (not recommended unless you plan on using MSYS)

Sample batch file...
@echo off

echo MinGW Enviroment Command Console
echo ....
echo ....

set MINGWROOT = C:\MinGW
set MINGWBIN = %MINGWROOT%\bin
set MINGWINCLUDE = %MINGWROOT%\include
set MINGWLIB = %MINGWROOT%\lib
set MINGWLIBEXEC = %MINGWROOT%\libexec\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2
set MINGWBIN2 = %MINGWROOT%\mingw32\bin
set MINGWLIB2 = %MINGWROOT%\mingw32\lib\ldscripts
set MINGW = %MINGWROOT%;%MINGWBIN%;%MINGWINCLUDE%;%MINGWLIB%;%MINGWLIBEXEC%;%MINGWLIB2%;%MINGWLIB2%
set GCC_EXEC_PREFIX = %MINGWLIB%\gcc\

rem to add more resource paths just use the set command like above and then add it to the set PATH like below

set PATH = %MINGW%;%PATH%

cmd

The next thing that may get in the way is the new file 'permissions' that M$ have implemented for security.
If so just edit the offending files(or folder) 'permissions' to inclued your user name with 'read/write/modify/execute' permissions.

There is a small problem with using MSYS....
patch.exe, install.exe and install-info.exe will always give you 'permission denied'.

These are not trapped by the UAC under the msys shell and will not give you the 'continue/password' dialog box. They can be got round by adding the Msys bin directory to the PATH variable in a batch file and running it as administrator.

Well I hope the info will helpful.
And let me know if I missed some thing.

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#2]
Wow, that's a lot of environment variables. I found the solution below worked for me, and didn't require as much work.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=67202

I work with UAC turned off, so this may also be required as part of the solution above, but I haven't checked.