Nice to see the b3d format taking off...

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Nice to see the b3d format taking off...

Ethan3850(Posted 2005) [#1]
The b3d format grows in popularity:
www.bbcbasic.co.uk/products/bbcwin/bbcwin1.gif

Haven't actually tried it to be honest, so it might just be a coincidence with the extension. But if true would such a thing be legal/moral if the program is a direct competitor to Blitz?

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#2]
B3D format is public domain

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yup.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/sdkspecs/sdkspecs/b3dfile_specs.txt

But if .B3D really would get used more than just by Blitz products it would definately be good news - more support means more converters and exportes and apps in general that would support .B3D "out-of-the-box". If only XSI would do that...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#4]
BBC Basic for Windows? WOAH :D lol.

Im going to have to play with it, Just seeing the word "Himem" sends me all tingly!

Wait.. thats RSI.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#5]

BBC Basic for Windows? WOAH :D lol.

Im going to have to play with it, Just seeing the word "Himem" sends me all tingly!

Wait.. thats RSI.

still.. there's no excuse!!! ;) LOL

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#6]
LMFAO!

Never even saw that one coming.....

Seriously though, Just ordered meself a wrist-glove for RSI recovery though- Had it Recomended.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#7]
brilliant digital also used .b3d files. Annoying as some spyware utilities don't like it and will remove b3d file associations if your not careful.

puki(Posted 2005) [#8]
"Bot Builder's" name has been on the main page for 5 days now - not any more.

"puki" takes his place on the top spot.

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#9]
Hah.

btw, yeah the b3d format is nice, its kinda xmlish in some wys but without the size. if you add sections with labels a loader doesnt understand, it just ignores it, allowing you to add features to the b3d format as you see fit.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#10]
talking of B3D format
There are many more 'kind' chunks coming, including camera, light, sprite, plane etc. For now, the
use of a Pivot in cases where the node kind is unknown will allow for backward compatibility.

Sad that this didn't happen so far. This way we could have created our whole worlds with B3D instead of using own formats to reparse it into B3D afterwards.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#11]

Sad that this didn't happen so far. This way we could have created our whole worlds with B3D instead of using own formats to reparse it into B3D afterwards.

This has been possible from day 1. There's nothing stopping you using the .b3d format and creating your own custom nodes.
What hasn't happened is for some type of standard to be drawn up.
I currently use 2 custom nodes for my app :
SEQS - for animation sequence info
PHYS - for ragdoll/physics joint settings.

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#12]
it would be great to see the b3d format layed out featuring loads of examples of how to read and write it. The examples ive found so far are quite purpouse specific and does not cover all capabilities.

Andy(Posted 2006) [#13]
Seems there is several B3D 3D formats... Not a good thing!

Andy