Packages that installs .net framework and MDAC...

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Packages that installs .net framework and MDAC...

JoJo(Posted 2005) [#1]
...automatically.

I have written a program that needs to be installed on various computer through out the workplace over the network. Computers are in different buildings as well.

This program has been written using vb.net as a front end and sql server as a backend.

These computer are running anything from Windows 98 to XP.
Some of these machines don't have the .net framework or the lastest version of mdac installed.

I need a way to have these two packages installed without user intervention. Perferrably throughtout the night.

Now I have tried what comes with visual studio to no avail. I looked at merged modules but I'm having some issues with getting it to work.

Are there any other options besides using visual studio?
What I would like to do is maybe have some execuatable run at a scheduled time and installed these packages for me.

Any ideas or somewhere you can direct me.

Why0Why(Posted 2005) [#2]
I use VB.Net and SQL server myself. You could knock up a quick console app in vb that runs using the shell command. Search for shell in the help file. Should only take you 5 minutes to knock up. I am not sure if MDAC and .Net make an unattended install version though.

assari(Posted 2005) [#3]
Google for "AutoIt".
A blurb from their website http://www.hiddensoft.com/AutoIt/index.php
"AutoIt was primarily designed to assist in automatically installing software that cannot be automatically installed by other means. This is most useful during a PC rollout where hundreds or thousands of client machines need to be automatically installed. However, AutoIt is not limited to software installation and can be used to automate most simple windows tasks."

JoJo(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks! I will look into AutoIt. It seems like it would be easier than what I went through.

But anyhow I found two ways to do it.
You can use the command line to install the two packages silently with the appropriate switches.

To install the dotnet package silently use:
dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c:"install /l /q"

To install mdac silently use:
mdac_typ.exe /q:a /c:\"dasetup.exe /q /n\"

There is also a program that was written by someone at the CodeProject website that worked well after I made some modifications.

But AutoIt seems like it could be the better solution that I was looking for.
Thanks again!

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#5]
I prefer "AutoHotKey" over "AutoIt". It was based on AutoIt and even has an AutoIt compatability mode.
http://www.autohotkey.com/

The biggest difference between the two is probably the language style.

Try both and see what you think.

JoJo(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks!