Am i the first person.... (Visual Blitz thingy)

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Am i the first person.... (Visual Blitz thingy)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#1]
...to write a BlitzCC.exe from blitz3d that "wraps" to Bmk.exe?

I'm now happily using the old free Visual Blitz with Blitzmax ^.^ and can say that once again, Visual Blitz Rules.. ^.^

Now, if i could only fork out for the newer versions ^.^

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#2]
can not really compete with the screenshots of the upcomming protean blitzmax beta in the protean boards sorry

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#3]
hey, its better than the default ide in beta, so thats all that matters :P

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#4]
I would like to see a Visual Blitz update with full support for BMax.

flaith(Posted 2004) [#5]
So do I, i'm still checking Ed's Forum

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#6]

Now, if i could only fork out for the newer versions ^.^

visual blitz is only 8 quid though.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#7]
Now, if i could only fork out for the newer versions
Not being funny, but how come you can fork out £50 for Blitzmax yet complain about having to spend under £10 on Visualblitz?

BODYPRINT(Posted 2004) [#8]
who's complaining?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#9]

visual blitz is only 8 quid though.

I know, and as soon as i can, i will be buying it

Not being funny, but how come you can fork out £50 for Blitzmax yet complain about having to spend under £10 on Visualblitz?

I know, but isnt it funny that i also owe the exact price of BlitzMax to a mate? ;)

Seriously guys- i quit work and became a temp a few weeks back and its all dried up towards xmas- i seriously dont have a pound to spare- im having to walk most places too. oh and i owe out 3 weeks of rent.

I get paid for my temp work in 2 weeks- so thatl cover the rent :S hehe..

By then workl be back though.. just a tough few weeks!!!

Also, im not complaining :P £8 is a tiny amount and i wont hesitate to buy it!

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#10]
I have Visual Blitz as Protean ... and I just prefer Prot as ViBli is still lacking in some quite important sectors, at least to me

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#11]
Wot about BIDE , its free and does a lot of the stuff the others do.

Not sure its working with Max yet though.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#12]
I'm waiting for Vblitz, if it doesn't come out before the exchange rate goes down I'll be getting Protean as its obviously the better product. Just not sure I need all the extra bells and whistles.

Maybe there should be a protean light, but it looks like protean is doing pretty well for itself, has good support and most people hanging about waiting for Vblitz will probably wind up buying it anyway ;)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#13]
Anyone know why BRL dont just tweak their B3D IDE for Max ?? I mean it seems like a logical thing to do to me.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#14]
Compared to all the feature requests in the language itself I think IDE work for BRL has always been fairly low priority...

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#15]

protean is working for me, and I now favor it over visualblitz.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#16]
I've just switched over to Protean, on the basis that it is still being updated, and VisualBlitz does not seem to be evolving any more.

Shaun Sullivan(Posted 2005) [#17]
I purchased Protean and loved it back when I was working in Blitz Plus / 3D.

Now I am dying to download the beta for BlitzMax Win32.

To me it is painfully obvious that Mark should license Protean from Rob. I think the IDE is extremely important regarding making a favorable first impression on the new user. Protean is professional and powerful. Sure it has some frills that I don't need but that's not a bad problem and I'm sure Rob could strip it down a bit for Max.

I know what you are going to say (its not cross platform!) I still think its worth considering as I'm sure the Win32 market will be the largest.

BTW, I just purchased Max a few days ago and I am really enjoying the beta. Man, I can't wait for a debugger though :)

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#18]
Eat more spam! Spam spam spam! =]

Shaun Sullivan(Posted 2005) [#19]
Sorry about that. Fixed.

Brucey(Posted 2005) [#20]
I think if they are going to bundle an IDE with max then it needs to be the same on *all* platforms.
Otherwise..... "Get BlitzMax !! We've a cool, full-featured IDE for windoze, but the rest of you - well, buy yourself a windows box and slap on a copy of XP if you want to join in the fun."
... which isn't really what I think Mark et al are trying to aim for ?

REALbasic is a good example of cross-platform development using the same IDE.

Anyways... it's nice that the "Win32 market" funds development of an awesome game-development platform on Mac and Linux ;-)

Akira(Posted 2005) [#21]
Like Gfk, I switched to Protean because Visial Blitz looks like it's no longer being developed. Protean is great, it just takes some getting used too.

Maybe Rob could port Protean to BlitzMax. Doing so would make it cross platform and would increase the Protean market and user base.

Although I guess Rob or someone would need to come up with a complete BMax GUI system before Protean could be ported.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#22]
Yes, that's pretty much how I understand it - the biggest problem with cross platform stuff is the GUI. He'd have much the same dillemmas in BlitzMax as he does in .NET.

Russell(Posted 2005) [#23]
Really the only thing keeping me from getting Protean is the necessary and quite sizeable .net download (I'm on dial up ATM). Also, I too would like to see the same IDE on all platforms. THIS IS WHY I THINK A GUI MODULE FOR BMAX WOULD BE EXTREMELY HANDY AT THIS TIME. (Sorry for shouting, but I really think this is important).

1) Squash remaining bugs in beta and release official version (Win32)
2) Improve documentation 3 fold (at least)
3) Add 'official' GUI module
4) Create cross-platform advanced IDE w\debugger (possibly release source to IDE so we can add to it or improve it, 'ala Fred's PureBasic IDE).

My $.02

Russell

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#24]
Well 1-3 will happen, 4 looks like it will not. The windows ide -is- being written in the BlitzPlus module, the Linux IDE -is- being written using the FLTK module.

I guess the Mac IDE will stay written using objective c for a while...

Akira(Posted 2005) [#25]
IMO, the official GUI module (when it's released) would be the logical choice to standardise development of the Official IDE on. That way all BlitzMax users would have access to the same IDE and feature-set regardless of which O/S they choose.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#26]
Actually after I posted that I read another post from skid saying that Mac was using the FLTK module and Windows/Linux was using the BlitzPlus module, so now I'm just confused.

Akira(Posted 2005) [#27]
Riot,

Just when I thought things couldn't get any more confusing... the quote below is from Mark's latest worklog. If I understand it correctly, it appears that BlitzMax is going to get a BlitzPlus module which will form the basis of the cross platform offical BlitzMax IDE.

Simon has beek working hard on a (gasp) BlitzPlus based IDE for Win32 and Linux, with a Mac version coming 'eventually'. This will likely become the official Max IDE, because its multiplatform and written in Max and I like that. However, the current Mac IDE will stay in the Mac package in case people like that better, and if anyone feels like donating any other IDEs to the cause we can include them too!

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#28]
Yes, that's what I read too, my last post was a little confused =] So we have two conclusions : 1) what you said; BlitzPlus module is now going to be cross platform (yay!) or 2) Mark doesn't know what he's talking about, always a slight possibility here, since he's not the one working on it! He may very well be just as confused as the rest of us <grin>

I do find option 1) more likely, tho, and much more attractive. Would be a massive undertaking (if it's anything more than a wrapper for a few simple gadgets) - my hat off (OK, wig) to Simon if he pulls that off!

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#29]
I have both Visual Blitz and Protean and I can say this: Protean has more gadgets, but Visual Blitz is more straight-forward. With Protean It's not as easy to look around the screen and see all the globals and constants in your code and so on.

At the moment I'm working in the Protean BlitzMax beta and works pretty well (crop circles around the default IDE) but if eddy added BlitzMax compatibility into Visual Blitz, I'd switch to that in an instant. Coding in BlitzMax is alien to me as it is, and not using the same editor and interface that I'm used to with Blitz3D and BlitzPlus doesn't help me in the least. Not that I could be totally productive in BMax anyway, but it would really be great if we saw more familiar IDEs that we've known over the years work for the new Blitz language so the Windows crowd isn't as tense and stiff while getting accustomed to the new syntax and the OOP elements.

mag.(Posted 2005) [#30]
Visual Blitz update with full support for BMax?
mmmm..
forum down. email down... ;(

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#31]
I dont know if Visual Blitz is Still being supported/updated?