Windows Beta demos - lack of comments

Archives Forums/Win32 Discussion/Windows Beta demos - lack of comments

puki(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi, "puki" here.

I'm not moaning, more just making an observation. I haven't looked at every demo included with the beta. However, I notice a distinct lack of comments in the demos. I mention this purely on the basis that a lot of the GL stuff MIGHT be new to some people, so it would have been nice to see them being commented a bit more.

I note that some demos contain GL stuff that technically isn't required to run the demo - ie you can delete certain stuff and still run the demo code. So, it would have been nice if people had commented their code a bit more just to explain what certain things did.

Not a gripe, just an observation - considering this is just a beta - might be nice to add the comments in prior to a full release.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#2]
You're better off checking out the converted nehe tutorials, and the opengl RedBook(freeware online these days) to learn gl than isolated pieces of source code. It's a big subject.

Code gets too messy and looks nasty(imo) if you comment it too much. Not that any of the beta progs are mine, but anyway..

puki(Posted 2004) [#3]
Okey-doke.

In fact, I had been looking at the NeHe page - I sat there wondering what a NeHe was - then realised it was the name of the developer.

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#4]
Sorry about that mate! Try and catch me on IRC if you need any (more) help. :o>

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#5]
I had a lot of problems with the demo's and comments too. Particulartly tough for a newbie to learn from without tutorials in the basics.

Thankfully Wave started some tutorials that are proving to be a really nice intro to coding, and Bmax in particular. Does seem to be ironing out the creases a bit and making a it a lot easier to navigate and understand code in the samples.

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#6]
Hey, puki,
Also might want to check out:

http://www.codesampler.com/index.htm

Good GL, DX, and other language tuts on there. Nicely written too.
M

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yeah BlitzMax is scaring the heck out of me so far. ;)

It's "different" and stuff. lol.

Hopefully I will get the hang of it though, it looks nice and powerful. :)

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#8]
It is a bit scary. But you'll get the hang of it. Don't be afraid to swamp the Beginners forum with hundreds of semi-obvious questions =]

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#9]
But you'll get the hang of it. Don't be afraid to swamp the Beginners forum with hundreds of semi-obvious questions =]
Yes. I can confirm that all the authors of said examples frequent this board. I'm sure they'll be able to explain their own code... :o>

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#10]
Doh ... I guess I'm not longer a beginner or something. I just realized reading this thread that I didn't read a single comment in the examples ... I just looked for the syntax of the OO stuff and then went galavanting with my own stuff. Pretty much seems like the exact same thing as Blitz only now types have functions and methods and can extend etc... Makes cleaner code and stuff ... been waiting for it too ... dagnabbit, I've been fiddling around with Blitz for a long time trying to get the most organized method of coding down. I had just gotten to a place where I had a reasonable method to structure all code ... but now that BMax is here it's become even better! Seems like if code is written out right that comments don't need to exist ... unless it's some complex algorithm you're trying to explain.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#11]
but a beginner doesn't understand old blitz either, which is where you have the advantage. Didn't have a clue what types were, didn't have functions in the last basic I used. After 20 years I barely remembered a thing about programming.

Coming from there the examples are pretty tough to learn from. Now that I know the absolute basics other things are becoming more intuitive to pick up and most of my mistakes are pretty simple ones.

RiK(Posted 2004) [#12]
Not really fair to just assume that users (of any level) will be able to just pick things up from the code though is it..

I think it's reasonable to expect the 'official' examples supplied with the package to be well documented to allow others to follow them, especially given how sparse the official documentation is at present.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#13]
I don't have that many probs ... given all the absurd programming languages I have to use at study which all have no documentation, BMax isn't that bad ... I am only missing a object based description of the whole system so I started to write my own ;)