Win 7, Dll?

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Win 7, Dll?

H&K(Posted 2010) [#1]
Where do I put the dll for win 7?

Its in system32 atm but the I get an error that its unfound.

(as a stop gap Im putting it in the program dir each time)

p.s Anyone got a list of "problems" and solutions running Bmax under win 7 (Just moved from xp today;)

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
In order to find a DLL that's not in the application folder, you may need to register it with windows first:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mydll.dll

(Can be done programmatically through the windows API as well)

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#3]
Where do I put the dll for win 7?
This depends on whether you are using 7 32-bit or 7 64-bit. You really need to specify what OS you are using when asking questions like that.

If you are using 7 64-bit B3DSDK will NOT work in Syetem32, instead it must be put in SysWOW64 since the DLL has to run under emulation.

Normally it should work fine in your app directory with no problem.

Since it is not an ActiveX DLL it should not need to be "registered".

H&K(Posted 2010) [#4]
This depends on whether you are using 7 32-bit or 7 64-bit. You really need to specify what OS you are using when asking questions like that.
Yep, sorry first day with 64-bit.

However in my defence as the dll wasnt working in System32, one could assume I had 64 bit ;)

I am putting it in my App dir atm, however this would mean pasting it into every dir I compile to. Thanks for the SysWOW64 advice. Thats the sort of win 7 (64bit) info that I sadly lack atm.

Its "also" the first Time I've had a multi core, so wait till I start asking stupid tread questions

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#5]
H&K:

64-bit is very easy to get along with if you remember one simple thing: The majority of everything you are going to want to use (including all Blitz products and software compiled with Blitz languages) is not actually compatible with 64-bit versions of Windows (64-bit software is still in the minority.). This is why MS provides the emulator known as WOW64 (Windows on Windows 64-bit.) FWIW, WOW64 is pretty good at emulation, but it is not perfect. I have numerous programs that will not run under WOW64 including some games.

Think of it like how DirectX 7 (what the SDK uses) is not supported under any version of Vista or 7 and has to run under emulation.

The #1 rule to remember with 64-bit is all 32-bit DLLs go in the SysWOW64 directory (if they will not work in your app's directory or if you do not want to leave them there).

The #2 rule to remember is your installer for your 32-bit app or game needs to be "64-bit aware" and if you have DLLs that you want in the system directory instead of your app directory, the installer needs to be able to check if it is a 64-bit OS so it can install the DLLs in the proper system directory.

Its "also" the first Time I've had a multi core, so wait till I start asking stupid tread questions
Although multi-core helps, threads have nothing to do with multi-core CPUs and can be used on single-core CPUs (or single cores with hyper-threading) just fine. Also keep in mind that you can actually use threads in all BRL languages via API.