RE. open source

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/RE. open source

H&K(Posted 2010) [#1]
To Mark

You may remember offering to make the source open so we could bug fix it ourselves, but I sorta shouted at you , (Which was stupid of me, and I was wrong).

Maybe you could reconsider and go back to your original plan.

Whilst I stand by what I said re support for the SDK, I was way too venomous in my attack on your plan, and I hope you will reconsider your decision to withdraw the offer of open source.

P.S. Too be honest I half expected you to Ban me from the forums.

P.P.S. If your decision to withdraw the offer of open source had nothing to do with me, then pardon my ego.

Leon Drake(Posted 2010) [#2]
considering the SDk isnt being sold anymore i think its only fair to allow those who put out the cash for it deserve the source code since it doesnt appear that this product is even going to be updated. comfirm/deny?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#3]
Why would you be entitled to the source?

When you buy a product, you buy it at its current state. There's no explicit promise of future updates, so if the maker decides to stop selling it should be irrelevant to copies sold in the past.

bytecode77(Posted 2010) [#4]
sure, but you expect it to be finished and the current version doesn't even support for sound.

besides, i'm planning the devil engines for the SDK and if it's open source, it's way easier for me to redistribute my own code...

come on, talk to us, mark ;)

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#5]
When you buy a product, you buy it at its current state.
I think that is why the question was asked as the SDK apparently does not do what it said it would do at time of purchase.

rs22(Posted 2010) [#6]
The source code for the SDK used to be available, by SVN if I remember correctly. It's a shame it isn't anymore.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#7]
I do wish BRL would give an official word on what is up with the SDK.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#8]
i think mark is only the guy wich does the website & maintain & support the products. It seems the real dev guy is (however why) now gone.

So now mark has begun make a real new language? possibly it has to do with the mobile/flash/andriod version of blitz[however].

This is not a decrade, mark, i respect your work and the team. If my telling was real, so you should realy make some of the codes opensource. I think the dev guy would have no problems with this... since you already have wrote the engine is old.

I know a guy wich has make the Acknex Engine, mark.
The Acknex 4 Engine came out as Unreal2 was published.
The Acknex 4 Engine worked only with directx 6.
The Acknex 4 Engine editors was more used as the unreal editors. Into the creative commercial range.
Today is Acknex 7 sold, market as "Game Studio" with the baddest game-template ever created for a 3d engine.
Today the Acknex 7 Engine supports Shaders, newer directx versions etc. but is not so good as the Leadwerks Engine.
For a long time the Acknex 5 and Acknex 6 Engine was Opensource. Only to guys wich has access to the code. These guys was selected from the community to code on the project. They had become contracts etc.
Therefore existed a Acknex SDK wich pulled good C/C++ dev-guys into the Game-Studio community.

Ok Blitz3D is very good into the core but as SDK not realy a hype. You should make Blitz3D loading a DLL File wich uses the functions of the compiled Blitz3D executable. So you can get some good C/C++ dev-guys into the community.

Actualy all C/C++ dev-guys knows how to do make some iPhone, Android & Flash code. What you do if these guys are gone? You are than going back into making Blitz3D compatible with DirectX 13? Or you are making supports for new languages into the new-coming-blitz-cross-code-compiler/converter as fulltime job?

Do not more longer wait and make more out of Blitz3D. Puki has already posted very good blitz3d samples. One Id-guy says directx 9 is not dead etc.
I do wrote the idea of blitz3d is good. What must happen to regonize you?

Erm... ontopic... Opensource is not a realy choice for mark, i think. You should happier if a new blitz3d is coming out on some day.

dynaman(Posted 2010) [#9]
ShadowTurtle - don't know if you were joking or not, Mark is the guy that wrote blitz, blitz3d, etc... If I remember correctly someone basically wrapped up blitz3D to release it as the B3Dsdk, but Mark essentially wrote it.

simonh(Posted 2010) [#10]
Sorry, the Blitz3D SDK and the Blitz3D SDK source are no longer available.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#11]
simonh: Since the Blitz3D SDK is officially dead, perhaps it's section of the forum could be removed to prevent further confusion?

H&K(Posted 2010) [#12]
And if we are stuck we ask in BLitz3d threads?

Leon Drake(Posted 2010) [#13]
i guess. lol is it too late to ask for a refund to b3dsdk?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#14]
And if we are stuck we ask in BLitz3d threads?
Why would you post there? The product is not being sold anymore, so why should BRL provide support for it?

If we got rid of the SDK forums, it would make room in the layout for the new forums that are eventually coming for the new product.

H&K(Posted 2010) [#15]
Why would you post there? The product is not being sold anymore, so why should BRL provide support for it?
Well, MOST, questions are answered by ppl who DONT work for BRL.

These are Community topics, not support lines. AS an example it was YOU who told me how to install the sdk on win 7. Would I have gotten a reply if Id posted in blitz3d?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#16]
These are Community topics, not support lines.
These forums are on BRL's servers and they pay the bills. This is not community run.

Would I have gotten a reply if Id posted in blitz3d?
That comparison doesn't really apply. When I helped you with that, BRL was selling the SDK so the forums were justified. Now, they are no longer selling it, so why have the forums for a product that no longer exists?

Since the SDK is officially dead, I would not expect any support or answers from anybody in the future.

H&K(Posted 2010) [#17]
When I helped you with that, BRL was selling the SDK so the forums were justified
nope they werent selling it, (it was only last week).

You telling ppl it wasnt for sale anymore
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=91252

You helping me
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=91612

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#18]
H&K: I do not work for BRL. It was officially announced as dead within the past day:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=91595#1044026

The product is dead and people need to learn to accept that and move on and not expect any further support.

H&K(Posted 2010) [#19]
I know you dont work for BRL, My point was YOU helped me, so what is to stop YOU helping me, or others helping others?

My point still is, why remove the ONLY point of help for the SDK?

Infact no "statement" of about support, only that they arnt available, something you pointed out weeks ago.

BRL say "we dont sell it anmore" and you say "then dump the forum"?

And My reply still is, most help doesnt come from BRL anyway, but rather from ppl like yourself, and it the forum goes, then where can any questions be asked?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#20]
I know you dont work for BRL, My point was YOU helped me, so what is to stop YOU helping me, or others helping others?
I understand now, I was misreading your words before and I am sorry for that.

Are there enough SDK users to justify keeping the SDK forums? Perhaps consolidate it down to just one forum for the SDK?

To me, it just looks silly to see several forums dedicated to a product that no longer exists, and I imagine it could be confusing to any newcomers to Blitz.

I like the way ClickTeam handles forums for deprecated products, as that section clearly specifies the products are deprecated.

Kanati(Posted 2010) [#21]
Sigh. I've bought every language Mark has made... But I think this is the last one (even if it is just an sdk wrapper). Too many fumbles, missteps and half-assed products since BlitzPlus. And that's just a damn shame. :(