Is Blitz3D SDK

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Is Blitz3D SDK

Spinduluz(Posted 2009) [#1]
Still being updated and developed?
Looks interesting but $100 for a "dead" project is a bit much.

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#2]
I would love to buy it, but I won't buy a software product I can't try first.

Zethrax(Posted 2009) [#3]
Well, while we're on the subject - if this had been available for under $40 (possibly as a discount for Blitz3D owners) I probably would have bought it just to play around with it.

At $100, its not worth the cost for something that may or may not continue to be supported.

Just a little winge...

Mahan(Posted 2009) [#4]
As you can see in the forum-sticky the last version (104) was released ~2 months ago.

I'd say it's updated in the sense that bug fixes are released now and then, but there have been almost no additional features added.

I.e the status is almost exactly the same as with Blitz3D. DX7 very unlikely to be developed further.

That said, many of us stick around with Blitz3D/Blitz3DSDK (I own both) because of the stability and that these things work on most old hardware + the feature set is enough for many hobbyists or indie developers.

The reason for the price $100 (as I understand it) is that the Blitz3DSDK is as powerful as the original Blitz3D, and there are wrappers in the wrapper forum (available only for registered customers) for free languages like FreeBasic, Python, Java, Lua, FreePascal (Delphi wrapper works) and many more.

It would be stupid to sell the SDK cheaper than Blitz3D since it's easy to make a full featured programming environment with it and get very similar functionality.

Dreamora(Posted 2009) [#5]
Does that mean that Blitz3D SDK now is powered by FMod 3.74 too like Blitz3D is, not by subpar replacement in comparision to FMod?

Mahan(Posted 2009) [#6]
@Dreamora: I didn't even know about fmod until I saw your post, but after reading up a few minutes about it and checking the Blizt3DSDK source it seems like fmod is not included in Blitz3DSDK. (I only found a source file where the fmod include was commented out)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2009) [#7]
I bought it to support brl a while ago, it works fine - why update something that works ?

if you're unsure you can always use minib3d till your project is finished (dx kinda preferred if you're on window supporting older computers)

Spinduluz(Posted 2009) [#8]
Thanks for everyone's input and opinions.
I bought it a couple of hours ago.

Looks solid enough to me.
I've bought worse stuff for $100 :-)