Real games project...In visual C

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Real games project...In visual C

Giano(Posted 2008) [#1]
There is a real blitz3dsdk project done or to be completed in progress..?
Does anyone have realized one in c+blitzsdk?

I'm trying to verify if VisualC + Blitz3dSDK is good enough to create complete games (like zuma for example)...

Actually Blitz3dSDK is not yet supported (since last year) and doesn't support IO functions. What about the future?

I spent 2 days (sorry I'm little rusty in c\c++) to convert Peek\Poke into banks in c and I'm afraid about continuing develop in B3dSDK and c\c++.

Is it a good choice? Which other problems I will found from your experience?

There is any other blitz user that is developing with vc and b3dsdk?
Can we share some useful code in some manner to create a little community ?

(Sorry for my english...)
Thanks
Gianluca

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#2]
Unlimited Drop Pro has been developed entirely with C++/Blitz3D SDK.
It is not a game but my experience upon completion of the application says that this SDK is very stable and it is capable for a game project.
But you must take into account that Blitz3D SDK is dead since Mr. Mark Simply announced that he is working for his next SDK based on DirectX9.0 (or above...)
http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=1&log=1043
If you have interest for full compatibility, I suggest project development under environment of Vista

Giano(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks Moraldi for your answer...so we are two :)

what do you mean with "project development under environment of Vista "?
Is not more compatible b3dsdk with vista?

What are in your experience the highest obstacle in working with B3dSDK instead the Blitz3d? What are the extra effort?
What you can't do and what you can do with b3dsdk?

Thanks
Gianluca

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#4]
Is not more compatible b3dsdk with vista

Well, my application does not run under Vista environment, but I am not sure 100% if this is due to the B3DSDK (I have only one system with XP and I cannot test my code to see what happens under Vista)

What are in your experience the highest obstacle in working with B3dSDK instead the Blitz3d

In my opinion there is no obstacle. If you are going to make a game and need some 2D (like HUD's and/or menus) you will need more time to complete your project because under Blitz3D you could use some excellent libraries (such as Sprite Candy) and save much of your time.

What you can't do and what you can do with b3dsdk?

With B3DSDK you can do everything that Blitz3D can.

...so we are two :)

Yeah!!!
I think after the release of the new SDK, C/C++ people will increase around these forums.

dynaman(Posted 2008) [#5]
> Well, my application does not run under Vista environment, but I am not sure 100% if this is due to the B3DSDK

I have not done a lot with it, but the SDK is working fine on my vista machine.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#6]
@dynaman: it is a little bit hard for me (due to my poor English) to explain why I am not sure. Sometimes a bug can arise when I use a combination of libraries or a set of functions of a single library.

Giano(Posted 2008) [#7]
@Moraldi:

"...In my opinion there is no obstacle. If you are going to make a game and need some 2D (like HUD's and/or menus) you will need more time to complete your project because under Blitz3D you could use some excellent libraries (such as Sprite Candy) and save much of your time..."

I'm trying to convert Draw3d, but if you have something better I can use the same.

After that, I will implement a good resource manager.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#8]
...if you have something better...

As I mentioned before, I didn't build any game with B3DSDK because I don't have something better.

Any suggestion?

No, I don't have. Personally I will not spend my time to build 2D stuff like Draw3d because there are free or low cost 3D game engines they already have 2D support that B3DSDK does not have.

In any case I wish you good luck with this conversion because Draw3D looks very good. (there is a copy in my hard drive)