Problem with loading RLL encoded bitmaps

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Problem with loading RLL encoded bitmaps

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#1]
* Sorry for the wrong title. The question is about RLE, not about RLL encoding *

I am creating a simple 3D object viewer for showing objects used in a Japanese train simulator and I have run into a problem with the textures. The objects are using BMP textures only but some authors decided to save those textures with the RLE encoding option. bbLoadTexture command will load such bitmap but the resulting texture will be completely garbled. When I load the file into Paint Shop Pro and save as standard BMP file i.e. without RLE encoding everything is fine. However, I cannot expect other users of the viewer to do the same. So, my question is simple. Is there a way for B3D SDK to properly load a BMP texture saved with RLE option?

Barney

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#2]
Can you please send me an example of a copmressed bmp and I shall fix sdk for next release.

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#3]
Files sent to your address in the profile.

Thank you.

Barney

SLotman(Posted 2007) [#4]
Cant you load it by hand and decompress it on a texture?
Loading BMPs are not that hard...

I once made a PCX loader (in C++), which is basicly the same, RLE encoded for compression.

Just take a look at wotsit.org to see how RLE BMPs are encoded, shouldnt be so hard.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#5]
Blitz users are lazy - we don't want to fart about decompressing stuff in software. :P

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#6]
Cant you load it by hand and decompress it on a texture? Loading BMPs are not that hard...

Yes. I can do it on my own, but that is the functionality I expect to be part of the original loading function i.e. LoadImage or LoadTexture.

Barney