Can't find windows.h

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Can't find windows.h

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#1]
Sounds like a personal problem.... Have you ever coded in Cpp before? If you are using the express version you may want to do a search on the net, I think you need to drop some stuff into your bin folder aswell to use it out of the box with a lot of things.

dynaman(Posted 2007) [#2]
From MSDN forums. (not welcome news I expect)

A decision was made long ago by the team that Visual C++ Express (a free product) cannot be used for native Windows development out of the box. It can only be used for .NET/CLR development.

For native apps, the only choice is to do a separate 500 megabyte download of the Platform SDK, or order the Platform SDK CD from Microsoft.

Another thing is you cannot do MFC or ATL development, I suggest you try Microsoft WTL instead, a free download (although I'm not sure if this works on its own without ATL)

Here is the thread link.
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?postid=7004&siteid=1&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1

IKG(Posted 2007) [#3]
I have Visual C++ .net 2003 (bought it awhile ago), so I'll use that instead I guess. If I can't find the cd's I'll do what you said dynaman.

Thanks.

IKG(Posted 2007) [#4]
I'm guessing since I'm using Vista I should download this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c2b1e300-f358-4523-b479-f53d234cdccf&DisplayLang=en

edit: I tried it on my XP computer and now I got a totally new error about the application config not being right. C# works, but I still want to use C++. ..

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#5]
Unless you really know what you are doing I doubt youd be taking advantage of the core features of Cpp and the blazing speed that can result from such low level programming. If you are having issues with simple things like this, then you are going to have massive issues in the future. Why not just use C#? What does it not do that you need it to do? It does automatic garbage clean up for you aswell. No need to worry about loose pointers and memory leaks. C# is a combination of Java and vb with managed C like structure... the more you work with it, and as you start to do more advanced things, you can sit back and ask yourself if you really need those things that C# cannot offer and make the switch. But honestly if youre using the blitz sdk then youre already limited in speed as to what you can accomplish... Setting up methods and getting access to objects faster than blitz can render a frame... what can Cpp offer you here that C# cant? Its RAD and managed... it practically codes itself haha. Just my two cents.

IKG(Posted 2007) [#6]
I've been using C++ for around 3-4 years; what the hell do a few errors have to do with the actual language? And I know what C# is and how it's different.

You can't even begin to judge me just because of a few errors, due to the lack of some decent setup documentation. I'm choosing C++ because I'm more comfortable with it and it's more open to some other 3rd-party-libraries that I plan on using.

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#7]
bad breath, if you want to spend two cents please do it in general discussion.

The following should take you to Windows® Server 2003 R2 Platform SDK Full Download which is a light wight 400meg windows.h file and is good for all xp/2k/98 development:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=484269E2-3B89-47E3-8EB7-1F2BE6D7123A&displaylang=en

If you have tried to install something else first and don't just have a clean visual studio express it pays to suss the readme completely before installing, there are 5000 lines of gotchas for the unclean. Oh but you MUST have run visual studio express at least once...

If you are running vista you will probably want that sdk, your b3dsdk c++ projects will still be xp compatible and allows tooling with v27 or whatever they are up to in dot net land.

If you are using lgpl libs I would seriously consider using devc or even blitzmax to manage your projects with the mingw tool chain.

IKG, you may want to begin by loading the application demo project that comes with the install, and then check out the "Creating Visual C++ Projects" docs incase you missed something, i tried to be as detailed as possible with the screenshots etc. but of course there is always room for improvement.

IKG(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thanks a lot, skidracer. I already did what your last paragraph suggested, but now I'm guessing I made my mistake by installing C# Express before installing the Platform SDK (I also had downloaded that exact one you linked me to).

I'll uninstall, reinstall, and then apply the SDK update one more time.

edit: Nope, same error. I'll try this later on my Vista PC.

IKG(Posted 2007) [#9]
Turns out the Vista SDK I mentioned before didn't really help at all. I'll apply the Windows® Server 2003 R2 Platform SDK later, if it's compatible.

I hate double-posting, but it's the only way to bump the topic back up since most people won't visit twice to see an edit.

Edit: Yes! Finally got it to work! Long story, but thanks guys!