I can do B3D in C#. Thank You BRL!!!

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/I can do B3D in C#. Thank You BRL!!!

CoderLaureate(Posted 2007) [#1]
This was possibly the smartest move BRL has made since they brought Blitz to the PC platform! Makes me a little sad I waisted my money on Dark SDK.

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#2]
Totally. 'Cept I didn't waste my money. Bu-ya!

IKG(Posted 2007) [#3]
Makes me a little sad I waisted my money on Dark SDK.

If you were using C++, would you think the same? I can't decide since I already have a Dark SDK license.

I mean, it's based off Dx9 and supports shaders - what makes the B3D SDK better?

MCP(Posted 2007) [#4]
IKG - I bought Dark SDK also when it became available.
Sure, it has Dx9 and shader support but last I checked (months ago) your game content couldn't survive the dreaded ALT+TAB bug - rendering the SDK completely useless.
I haven't looked at it since!
Blitz SDK gets my vote :)

Cheers,

Roy

IKG(Posted 2007) [#5]
Let's just say that bug was fixed (since it doesn't matter to me and I've never heard of it), would you still choose B3D? I really need to be sure of this before I spend $100 and decide to go with Dark SDK.

I just don't see the advantages since it's still based off Dx7..

dynaman(Posted 2007) [#6]
> I just don't see the advantages since it's still based off Dx7

The commandset of BSD is much better then that in DBSDK. Especially in regards to parenting meshes. One thing you can do is DL the darkbasic language demo to try out the commands - then you can choose based on a little more information.

IKG(Posted 2007) [#7]
Like I said, I already own the Dark SDK and the original B3D license. Is it worth using Dx7 just because of a few more commands?

I'm not trying to stand up for Dark SDK or anything, by the way. These are just legit questions that I'm thinking about.

SopiSoft(Posted 2007) [#8]
@ IKG: I own both Dark SDK and Blitz3D too but i'm not planning on doing anything serious with Dark SDK, i really prefer the Blitz3D commandset so that's why i'm using Blitz3D for serious projects. I bought Dark SDK just to play around in C++. I'm actually waiting for BRL to release files that make B3D SDK compatible with Delphi because i'm not willing to do it myself.

But why are you so interested in B3D SDK while you have Dark SDK that supports DX9 which you seem to care about? Are you not getting any satisfaction out of it? Do you maybe like B3D SDK's commandset a bit more?

MCP(Posted 2007) [#9]
Depends what features you require for your projects IKG.
If you absolutely require the use of shaders and so on then stick with Dark SDK.
If you intend to write a few mesh editing tools or need to access and maniplate mesh vertices directly then Blitz3D SDK is the better choice.
Yes, it may be Dx7 but Blitz3D has been a robust little engine over the years and there are some talented people on here that have done some impressive things with it, not to mention the 3rd party DLL's which have added extra functionally such as Tom's RendertoTexture.dll - impressive.
The community forums are a lot better on here too.
There's always someone whos knows how to do something somewhere.
I'm not going to say rush out right now and blow your $100 and it'll be the best thing you ever did. That of course is entirely up to you but if you prefer to code in a language other than Blitz3D Basic but you still require the ease and convenience of the Blitz3D command set then the SDK is a good choice and definately worth the money.

Cheers,

Roy

IKG(Posted 2007) [#10]
That's all I needed to hear, Roy :D

And thanks for the other opinions too guys. I've never really used Dark SDK (other than look at example code once I bought it). BlitzBasic's community itself is reason enough for me to stay and buy the SDK.

I kinda wasn't thinking about the whole "support" issue. Thanks!

Neuro(Posted 2007) [#11]
Has anyone ran into any issues with C# and the SDK? How well does it work out? kinda curious...i'm thinking purchasing it....

Kanati(Posted 2007) [#12]
haven't used it with C#, but it works rather well with VB.NET so it should be the same.

Shayde(Posted 2007) [#13]
Kanati,

I'm interested in a blow-by-blow on how you got it to work w/VB.NET. I'm using 2003 but also have 2005. Nether works. Basically the same erros.

I tinker with it after using various conversion tools on the C# code and header and get as varied results(read "errors") mostly related to getting VB.NET to know the NameSpace exists. Tries a direct conversion from the C3 to same structure VB in several ways and I bomb completely. No compile, no Namespace, no B3D.

so sad ;)

Kanati(Posted 2007) [#14]
It really sucks that we just can't post the header files here...

But let me see what I had to do (when I get home tonight) and I'll post that. I know I converted with sharp develop first and then I had to "hand massage" the code to get it to work correctly. But once I had that done it worked fine.

Neuro(Posted 2007) [#15]
Wait a minute...so it didn't quite work right away "out of the box"? :/

Kanati(Posted 2007) [#16]
the vb.net wrapper doesn't exist out of the box. It had to be created from the C# wrapper.

Neuro(Posted 2007) [#17]
Ok, so there is an immediate C# wrapper, correct? Hmm...wish there was a demo version of this SDK so we can test out. May just have to stick with Bmax and MiniB3D...