What does the SDK use for sound?

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/What does the SDK use for sound?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#1]
According to your beta testers, it doesn't use FMod, so what does it use please? Kick Shot Pool still does very well for me, and I'd be interested in rewriting it, but there's absolutely no point until I know what it's going to have in the way of sound.

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#2]
So what exactly would be the point of rewriting it?

popcade(Posted 2007) [#3]
plug the Audiere in...

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#4]
What does the SDK use for sound?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#5]
So what exactly would be the point of rewriting it?

If you answer my question, I'll answer yours. I can't say fairer than that.

simonh(Posted 2007) [#6]
DirectSound.

popcade(Posted 2007) [#7]
>DirectSound.

Uh... now I lost all the intension to buy it.....
(well not completely, I used Audiere for a while)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thank you.

And because KSP features a lot of core logic, AI and physics which would ( probably ) be a lot faster in BMax.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#9]
Hi, followed this for a couple of days (Starting with Indies FMod Posts).

So anyway, I know little if not less about sound, however Skids (seeming), loathness to reply to either of the threads, and yokos "now I lost all the intension to buy it" are leading me in the direction that DirectSound isnt concidered any good

1) Is it any Good
2) If not what would you suddgest?

@rtur(Posted 2007) [#10]
>If not what would you suddgest?

I'm using BASS for sound with Blitz3D and will use it with B3DSDK when I'll switch to it.
So my suggestion is BASS :)

simonh(Posted 2007) [#11]
DirectSound is fine.

Hotcakes(Posted 2007) [#12]
Well there's nothing wrong with DirectSound - being loathed to buy it on that basis alone is as silly as not buying a Johnny Red apple because it has a slightly darker red spot on it. Or calling a ladybug a cheetah because it has spots on it.

DS has less features than both FMOD and BASS of course, but since B3D never used any of those extra features either the transition shouldn't be too difficult. Though the module replay routines will be different now and lord knows where BRL grabbed them from. I suppose that would be the biggest change.

Hopefully they picked routines that have less problems than FMODs did ;]

popcade(Posted 2007) [#13]
If the streaming work... why not in BMax?

(It's a question for long... sigh)

Hotcakes(Posted 2007) [#14]
I suppose a DS implementation for Max would be nice but it wouldn't fit in with (assumingly) BRLs policy of releasing a mod that works on all platforms.

It would certainly solve their audio issues under Vista quicksmart.

imekon(Posted 2007) [#15]
DirectSound is ok up to Windows XP, as it can take advantage of hardware acceleration. On Vista, it can't as Microsoft did away with that. Creative moved h/w support to OpenAL for the X-Fi to get h/w acceleration back. DirectSound using Microsoft's 3D isn't considered good.

Hotcakes(Posted 2007) [#16]
3D isn't an issue since B3D/Max never used any of that stuff anyway.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#17]
So blitz SDK sound is bugged on vista?

imekon(Posted 2007) [#18]
Well, if all you want to do is play stereo/mono sound and pan it, DirectSound certainly can do that!

If you want a sound to fly past you (and not just pan left to right), if you want reverb or filtering or... then you'll need DirectSound, OpenAL, FMOD or others.

Hotcakes(Posted 2007) [#19]
So blitz SDK sound is bugged on vista?

No. B3D never used 3D acceleration for sound. It doesn't even have 3D positioning. It runs exactly the same on Vista as it did on XP.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#20]
No. Because B3D used FMOD not directsound and DID have 3D positioning. Get your facts right.

Its never used Directsound before now.

Hotcakes(Posted 2007) [#21]
Get YOUR facts right.

1) -A version of- FMOD was used yes, but there was no 3D positioning. I have a 5.1 speaker system. Only 2 are ever used. The 3DSound commands were only autocalculators for panning a sound between two channels. This is not 3D sound output, it is calculating 2D sound output from a 3D space.

2) DirectSound has 3D positioning too.

3) In XP, both have hardware acceleration features, but this is a completely moot point because B3D never had access to any of those features (ie FMOD's EAX support). 3D acceleration (as imekon seems to think) does not equal 3D positioning. You can do 3D sound in software (which is what most DirectSound3D apps do anyway on non-Creative cards) and you can have sound hardware acceleration without making use of 3D sound output.

In Vista, hardware acceleration is only available to OpenAL. DirectSound (and anything else that uses the Windows Audio services) is limited to software only mixing. It is still perfectly capable (in fact more so) of mixing 3D sound - in fact, the audio system has been extended in a way that allows all sorts of nice EAX-like DSP effects in the future - of course, all of this will be mixed in software, which will be prohibitive for a game because of the stress this places on the CPU. OpenAL is the only route forward for gamers.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#22]
Funny how directsound in vista on blitzmax has problems. Fmod does not have problems under vista.

Blitzmax doesn't use 3D sound either. Yet it has problems.

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#23]
Oh man. If it is Vista, there will be problems. I barely even have the energy to wonder. Go ahead and ignore it and just distribute on XP, which is still better, until they fix mouse precision and OpenGL, and stop forcing you to buy upgrades without your consent.

Hotcakes(Posted 2007) [#24]
Blitzmax doesn't use 3D sound either. Yet it has problems.

BlitzMax doesn't use DirectSound either. BRL coded their own soundplay lib. If they used DirectSound, it wouldn't have any problems - of course then it wouldn't run on MacOS or Linux either. OpenAL was the obvious move to me, I guess lack of hardware support for it is what prompted BRL to do their own thing.

If it is Vista, there will be problems.

The only non-16bit game I've ever had trouble with in Vista is Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 (but the first two run fine). All B3DSDK and B3D games as I've said run fine. Then again iexbeta.com/wiki shows there are others that have problems that I've never played ;]

You people really need to stop creating problems out of nothing and listen when someone's done their research.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#25]
I am listening to the people using direct sound in blitzmax on the blitzmax thread where they say direct sound is causing problems in blitzmax under windows vista.

Hotcakes(Posted 2007) [#26]
Oh OK my apologies; I havn't been following that - I hadn't realised they'd done a DS version.

Still, any errors they have is a BRL coding issue. The fact that every DX3-DX9 game I've tried (bar one) on Vista works fine wrt sound, shows its clearly not DS that's at fault.

If you read Mark's worklogs back in the Blitz2D beta days, you'll understand why; DS is a documentational and implementational nightmare to deal with =]

EDIT : If BRL reuse much of the same code from the MAX module for B3DSDK, then I suppose there could be problems. Nobody's reported any yet though? I suppose B3DSDK has a lower user base at this moment than Max does.