Who's doing what with language support?

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Who's doing what with language support?

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#1]
Figure this might help just in case so people wont do something somebody else is doing. Just post what language support you are working on. Dont be shy. :)

Anybody doing Aurora support or has it been done already?

Thx

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#2]
Yep. I started Aurora but feel free to do it, especially if you want to use Aurora's OOP capabilities.

I've finished include file for Emergence BASIC and now I am working on examples.

I am also working on Power Basic include but that will take few more days to be finished.

Barney

Daz(Posted 2007) [#3]
I am doing a delphi translation. As this will be a simple .pas file, I am hoping it will also work in free-pascal without any/much code changes.

I am currently testing with Delphi 6 and I have got it rendering in both full screen and windowed mode but I am getting nasty crashes whenever I use keyboard and mouse input-based commands i.e. keydown etc.

I think I'll need a few days to try to get to the bottom of it.

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#4]
It seems we all are having problems with catching SDK's input when we use it within window or a control. This will need Simon's help, most likely.

Barney

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#5]
With EBasic, you need to do something like

declare cdecl import,bbVersion(),int

make sure you import with the cdecl calling convention with whatever language you use.

when I did this with EBasic:
declare import, bbKeyHit( int n ),int

I wouldnt get any reponse.

but :
declare cdecl import, bbKeyHit( int n ),int

worked flawlessly.

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#6]
yes, I've declared everything with CDECL but catching input is still a problem when B3D rendering is child of EBasic window. When used without EBasic's windows everything works just the same as in Blitz3D.

Barney

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#7]
Ah I see, I'll try to duplicate the problem. Hrmm... mabie it's has to do with the b3d child window needing to be focused/active...

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#8]
I would think the Aurora inlcude would almost identical with Ebasic... as OOP stuff is something the user will program around the that. If your almost done with that, go for it :) I dont mind helping with including examples/solving problems...

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#9]
as OOP stuff is something the user will program around the that

Not necessarily. You know as well as I do that many of them are still quite afraid to touch the OOP, so it might be a good idea to encapsulate B3D SDK into Aurora classes i.e. entity class, mesh class, light class etc. I am sure many users would appreciate it.

And yes, by all means. I'll accept help with turning all the examples into EBasic. Two of us should finish it much faster than only one doing it alone.

Barney

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#10]
Cool. I guess the rough idea i had with Aurora is that like you said some people might be afraid to touch the OOP stuff with Aurora. If one only has Aurora and not EBasic, you can still do procedural style programming with it. I was thinking of having the "lower level" style imports like EBasic and then have another file to encapsulate that so that anybody can use it like classes as you mentioned. Basically, having the best of both worlds. But yes, Aurora is geared to OOP so just having the imports encapsulated as classes will probably be enough in which it will definetly help people learn the OOP side of things.

Mabie we should start a new thread in this forum, Aurora/EBasic stuff, as this mabie a bit OT for this thread. Also, I got your email. I'll shoot you another one here in a moment.

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#11]
Anybody doing MS Visual 6 C/C++? I'm stubborn and still use that. I'll be glad to do it after the Aurora/EBasic stuff gets sorted. Unless, somebody else wants to do it or already has?

Thx

dynaman(Posted 2007) [#12]
Working with VB.NET, not doing anything with Aurora

Knotz(Posted 2007) [#13]
I've tried several Lisp implementations (Lispworks 4.3 and CormanLisp) but got problems with the interactive READ-EVAL loop. I could open a graphics window(bbGraphics3D) only once. After closing the graphics window, it could not opened again.

ZJP(Posted 2007) [#14]
@Barnabius >>"I am also working on Power Basic include but that will take few more days to be finished."

I'm Finish. Now i'm working on a eBasic include file ;-)

JP

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#15]
eBasic has been done long time ago. You can have mine if you wish. Both pepsi and myself are working on eBasic and Aurora but we didn't want to come out with it before we translate as much examples as possible into those languages. I feel that pushing out the include only is not the right way to do it. It is always easier to start learning new tricks when there are some examples around.

Are you aware of the EBasic's FLOAT return problem?

Barney

ZJP(Posted 2007) [#16]
Hi,

I'm insteresting about eBasic. I just download the demo version and i will purchase the full product. ;-)

"Are you aware of the EBasic's FLOAT return problem?". Sorry, i'm a newbie

So, i can send my include file for PowerBasic.

JP

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#17]
"Are you aware of the EBasic's FLOAT return problem?". Sorry, i'm a newbie

That is exactly why you should not jump all over the place trying to create declarations for every language under the sun ;) It's not how many of them you create but the quality you achieve. There are also some other problems with distributing the files (see the topic I've just started).

The file you need will be in the mail (taken from your profile) soon.

Barney

ZJP(Posted 2007) [#18]
;-)