Sprite Candy with Blitz3D sdk

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Sprite Candy with Blitz3D sdk

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#1]
Can this be done?

Morbius(Posted 2007) [#2]
Well, if you're using BlitzMax with the SDK, you could try porting the Sprite Candy source to bmx.

Skidracer posted a conversion utility in this forum.

That would be a start anyway. You'd have to go through and port some of the Blitz3D specific code to BMax.

JoeRetro(Posted 2007) [#3]
You need to read the Sprite Candy license. I do not think you can port the code over without an additional license or permission from Xpressive.com

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#4]
that's a shame, I've only recently bought sprite candy and was going to use it for some games. Guess I'll use it for a bit with normal vanilla Blitz3D, then change to something else, or make my own system for using with Blitz3D sdk, unless I change completely to C++ with XNA, then god knows where I'll end up.

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#5]
Well.. I've just read the license and I think it is possible to use Sprite Candy with the SDK. Here's the relevant part of the license:

"The library's source code may NOT be redistributed by you. You are only allowed to redistribute the library as, or embedded within a compiled executable (EXE), as part of your own work. The library's source code as such is not to be sold, and you receive no (joint-) possession of the source code itself or to redistribute the library's source code (or an altered version of it) in any commercial or non-commercial way."

Distribution of the source code is of course not allowed. One can only distribute the EXE file containing compiled library. However, since Blitz3D is not specifically mentioned there's nothing to stop you rewriting those parts of the SC library in the language of your choice and distribute the resulting EXE. As long as you keep the new source only for your own use everything should be O.K.

But... is anyone prepared to rewrite Mike's B3D code, which is now almost 8000 lines long?

The only proper way for this to work would be if Mike will do the rewrite in C or any language capable of creating a DLL. That way we would be able to use Sprite Candy with all the languages we use the B3D SDK now. Mike would probably get some more cash and everybody would be quite happy.

Barney

Morbius(Posted 2007) [#6]
Or you could just port the bits you need, as you need them.

Panno(Posted 2007) [#7]
why not sprite candy and particelcandy
be included in the sdk also a shadowroutine
ala swift's or devilchild.

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#8]
Oh, yes! Why not? I think you should ask the authors of all those add-ons you mentioned, Panno. They are the only people who can answer your question and I also think they'd probably would like to receive a certain amount of money for the necessary rewrite...

Otherwise it's not a bad idea to have as many quality add-on libs included in the SDK as possible, even though it would increase its price.

Barney

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#9]
Why not just make the add-on libs available separate packages, and give the option to buy them all in one large package?

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#10]
Remember that those add-ons are written in different languages and were targeting Blitz3D exclusively. It is most likely they can't work with SDK version directly and it is even more likely that they will not work with different languages with which SDK can be used. Basically all of them would have to be rewritten in C or comparable language that allows the creation of Windows DLLs. It's a lot of work and it is dubious that all authors would like to do it. In addition, let's not forget that BRL would have to negotiate a deal with every author in order to package the add-ons and sell them. That's why I think we will not see many (if any) packages prepared for SDK usage.

Barney

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#11]
Well, I would be willing to do it. They might be but not probably. Oooh, damn. You're probably right. Oh well, I can dream.