Blitz3D SDK vs Blitz3D?

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Blitz3D SDK vs Blitz3D?

Jazz(Posted 2007) [#1]
My background is mostly C, although I own copies of Blitz3D (and a few other similar dev packages). So being able to use the Blitz3D engine in C does interest me a lot.

Now other than the fact I could finally include my own icons without a resource hacker and winblitz3D (for window icons), what advantages would there be in my case over using the SDK over the original Blitz3D?

BTW Dx7 is all I'll ever need (as long as it will run under Vista), as none of my games are complex enough to require shaders etc.

dynaman(Posted 2007) [#2]
> what advantages would there be in my case over using the SDK over the original Blitz3D?

The ability to place it into a real gui environment is nice. There are a couple of bugs with this but BRL is working on a patch for it.

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#3]
Also, Blitz3DSDK seems to run faster.

dynaman(Posted 2007) [#4]
> Also, Blitz3DSDK seems to run faster.

There is a patch coming for Blitz3D to make it run as fast as the SDK.

popcade(Posted 2007) [#5]
I don't know when there'll be the Blitz3D patch, it's way too long...

Jazz(Posted 2007) [#6]
Will think about buying today. At this stage I will probably end up doing so unless something changes my mind. Thank you all for taking time out to reply.

[Edited to remove a bunch of words I shouldn't have written - this is what happens when I post while tired :)]

JoeRetro(Posted 2007) [#7]
However it does remain to be seen whether I will actually gain any real advantage for an extra $100US

The biggest advantage is being able to use C/C++. This reason alone is worth the $100 :)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#8]
I like it because blitzmax is a far superior language.

I will also be able to port it to mac using minib3d if I need to at a later date, hopefully if simon continues developing it.

My advice is to purchase it and get started.

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#9]
I recently purchased the SDK, and it's MUCH faster. Also, being able to use it in conjunction with BlitzMax is awesome.

Jazz(Posted 2007) [#10]
Well I bought it a few hours ago. Haven't done a whole lot with it other than run a few of the PureBASIC examples (will probably be using C still). Seems to work quite well. I'm looking forward to using it.

cimtaurus(Posted 2007) [#11]
I had only used the Demo version of Blitz3D for about a week and was hooked.
Bought the SDK yesterday and I must say that I am pleased.
The catch is that I am a VS junkie. I spend all day writing apps in Visual Studio.
For anyone who is used to programming with Visual Studio, this is much better than Blitz3D. For anyone who is not set on a particualr language or dev tool, Blitz3D is a great place to start.

Still, keep in mind you arent getting anything with the SDK that you don't have with Blitz3D (less actually). It is all about the development environment.

I am looking forward to many hours of 3d coding with the SDK :)