Simon and Mark

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Simon and Mark

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#1]
Please cram mini b3d in with this and make it all one neat package so I can just hit compile on the mac....

As a gesture of good faith check out my purchase dudes. The beer is on me.

- Rob

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#2]
Cool done! lets make stuff.

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#3]
It might not be too hard to write a wrapper for MiniB3D and B3DSDK in to one package, with some extra functions to tie them together. Like "SetB3DDriver MaxGLB3DDriver()" and "SetB3DDriver B3DSDKDriver()" If no one else will, I can do it. Otherwise, I'm a tad too busy.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#4]
Explain to me the point of buying the SDK, if you are going to use miniB3D anyway?
You might as well save your money and simply use MiniB3D on Mac and win Os.

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#5]
I believe you could have phrased that more politely, H&K. Water under the bridge tho...

The reason is compatibility. On Windows, some people can run OpenGL, and not DirectX, and vice-versa. If you wrapped the two B3D engines together, you could create a setup in which the user could select whether to use GL or DX. Simple as that.

And yes, while I love MiniB3D, there are some points where it lacks, such as the infinite planes and the mirrors. And if you also set up this wrapper so that it automatically ignored the use of mirrors of planes when using MB3D, or came up with a substitute, (hint hint, Simon,) or auto-ignored an attempt to create a collision octree when using the B3DSDK, you'd have the perfect package.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#6]
H&K you are coming across real bitter in your posts, I understand we all go through that phase but you will get some time-out and it will do you good.

Ninjarat, thanks dude! really appreciate it... reason I want mark and company to do it is is because minib3d does not use quats internally and might bugger up.

I'm very happy with the blitzsdk so far, its smooth and compatible.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#7]
H&K you are coming across real bitter
Really? I was going for patronising. in responce to "Cool done! lets make stuff."

Dont get me wrong, A SDK with opengl and mac userbility is a good idea. I just think saying
"Ive bought the SDK, and Ive got miniB3D, so I can use a Mac" Is stupid ;-Juts use MiniB3D if its good enough

I believe you could have phrased that more politely
Only because you dont belive Lowcs has said something stupid.

To Clarify,
"Can you implement OpenGL Support in the SDK, so as to be usable on the Mac" ;-Sencible Idea.
"Please cram mini b3d in with this (the SDK), and make it all one neat package so I can just hit compile on the mac" ;-Stupid idea

If, you belive that MiniB3D is this comparible with the SDK, then dont buy the SDK at all, and simply use MiniB3D. (And ship your product with Gl 1.2 if your worried about that)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#8]
Hi H&K,

I would like you to get a life and stop trolling, thank you. All of your posts are troll posts. If you insult me or continue patronising I will report you to BRL.

I am here for a fresh start and to try my best to finish a game, and I see you getting in the way of that.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#9]
Hi H&K,

I would like you to get a life and stop trolling, thank you. All of your posts are troll posts.
Glad somebody else has finally said it.

I find you unhelpful, rude and patronising, and I haven't quite worked out what your purpose is here.

Avon(Posted 2007) [#10]
I am here for a fresh start and to try my best to finish a game

I wish you every success Lowcs - I am also trying to a game done using BlitzMax/Blitz3DSDK, but "Real Life" has a nasty habit of stealing all my free time! :)

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#11]
You've all said about H&K what I've wanted to say but didn't for fear of retribution. I tend to be very shy about forums. Thank you.

@H&K Maybe you should try to figure out what the topic is before blasting it.

When Lowcs said
Please cram mini b3d in with this and make it all one neat package so I can just hit compile on the mac
he didn't mean it would actually compile B3DSDK on Mac. BMax has these compiler directives: ?Win32, ?MacOS, ?Linux, for a reason. That would be so you could download the package as one thing, then when you hit compile, on Windows it would compile the combined (wrapped together) version and on other systems it would just compile MiniB3D, and the B3DSDK would NOT BE COMPILED.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#12]
he didn't mean it would actually compile B3DSDK on Mac.
I know
My point was, and still is, if MiniB3D is good enough to do that, then dont buy the SDK at all, and just use MiniB3D, or ask for the SDK to have OpenGL support. That is it would be a good idea to have the SDK compile on the MAC.
To ask for a comercial package to be merged with an open source free package (Of slower speck, but in the case of Kleptos version higher ability), is a pointless thing to ask for, compared to either simply using the free package, or asking for the commercial package to include the support (openGL) that you want.

If you want cross platform, then either stay with MiniB3D or IrrB3D.

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#13]
Forget it. You're not going to get our point.

EDIT: Also, you're hurting our morale, feelings, and spirit.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#14]
I have gotten your point.

But my point is, if the free minB3D is improved so that its comparible to the SDK, who is really going to buy the SDK? However, I dont beleive that MiniB3D can be improved to the point that it would be concidered comparible to the SDK, without in fact a whole re-write, hence
"Can you implement OpenGL Support in the SDK, so as to be usable on the Mac" ;-Sencible Idea.
"Please cram mini b3d in with this (the SDK), and make it all one neat package so I can just hit compile on the mac" ;-Stupid idea
But to rePhrase, you should do it, but dont expect it to be comparible in performance, why not cram IrrB3D instead, and then you might get comparible performance

EDIT: Also, you're hurting our morale, feelings, and spirit.
Why, Ive only said the Idea is stupid, wereas you (edit, 3rd Person Plural) have had a go at me as a poster in General

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#15]
I'm not the only one.

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#16]
This argument is pointless. We're not producing anything. Let's just live and let live, forgive and forget, agreed?

markcw(Posted 2007) [#17]
This is a forum for b3dsdk programming questions, not feature requests.

You should have posted this is general discussion.

Also your title "simon and mark" is meaningless, it should be relevant to your post like "minib3d in b3dsdk request".

If you post this way then I can see why H&K replied the way he did. Also, I agree with H&K. If you want Minib3d then just go use it. Nothing is stopping you.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#18]
not feature requests.

You should have posted this is general discussion.

There is nothing stopping you from not trolling, markcw. Move along. Do you have the power to order me to post somewhere less relevent? General discussion is less relevent.

I think the suggestion is a good one and ninjarat understood exactly what I was suggesting. I have bought the product and am suggesting a harmless and very much in the spirit of bmax thing.

Whats more I helped develop Blitz3D with intensive testing and feedback, I am not an idle newcomer, I am very much psyched about the return of my favorite 3D development combined with my favorite language.

Let me have my passion for development, thank you.

markcw(Posted 2007) [#19]
Grow up.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#20]
markcw (Posted 29 minutes ago)
Grow up.

hehe I think you destroyed every ounce of credibility you had with that.

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#21]
Lowcs's comments were extremely mature, organised, and rational. I would not have taken sides but for the rude and destructive nature of the posts by markcw and H&K. You are the one who needs to grow up.

Even if you don't like what you see, and want to give your two bits, you can do so in a dignified and polite manner, without patronizing, and without arguing like a five year old.

And apparently my plea for a truce was ignored. All you seem able to do is bicker and troll. This thread is disgusting. I'm leaving, and I'm not giving my wrapper to any of the people here who've come just to do damage. Goodbye. Lowcs, Gfk, Avon, I'm with you. If you want, we can start a new thread on the subject and report these people.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#22]
As this thread is going to be binned anyway:

It is not possible to just "wrap" opengl into a DX oriented engine, it would need to have been generally structured.

Torque tried that already vice versa and the result is 50-80% lower performance on the wrapped in API (dx) compared to OpenGL even on crap cards like Intel Onboard.
DX and OpenGL are just working too different for "click and replace" implementations

So it will definitely not be happening.

If you need crossplattform use MiniB3D or GMans B3D Irrlicht wrapper.

If you want proven technology use B3D SDK

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2007) [#23]
I would have thought the best thing about the sdk would be that you don't have to use basic.

I'll love a clean simple 3d library like this for my mac. I'd love to see Mini b3d bundled up in some form.

gman(Posted 2007) [#24]

SetB3DDriver MaxGLB3DDriver()

ninjarat struck a cord in the beginning. what the original topic is dancing around is a MaxB3D interface. Max2D was written with this in mind and thus there are DX implementations of Max2D available. a MaxB3D interface would need to be defined and then implementations written for both MiniB3D and the B3DSDK. in code, set the proper driver and the rest stays the same as long as you developed using the interface.

the main problem with this is that BRL more than likely wont define the MaxB3D interface (at least not as is discussed here) as they did with Max2D so nothing will ever be considered "official". maybe this is a good community project? whos up for IMaxB3D :)

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2007) [#25]
H&K,

MiniB3D has compatibility issues on Windows because it's based on OpenGL. Thus one would use the DirectX based SDK for Windows releases and MiniB3D for Mac and Linux.

-AF

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#26]
Indeed. OpenGL is very much the minority in windows these days, no point in arguing the situation... its proven over and over by casual game sales.

I really feel quite passionate about the possibilities of porting my game to mac. I feel I will have to do it manually on a mac, using minib3d. This isn't a problem.

It is more a wish, to have blitz3d in the spirit of bmax cross platform development :]

H&K(Posted 2007) [#27]
I know you are only going to accuse me of trolling for saying it, but I dont belive that MiniB3D is sufficiantly comaprable/finished to the SDK for you to do this.

However, taking on board the comments about wanting OPenGL and DirectX, and Win and Mac, can I again say that the Irrlicht B3D wrapper by Gman is a better bet. I dont know which engines are available on the Mac, but under windows it has DX8 and 9, opengl and two software engines. Gman is very consistant in both his coding layout, and the speed in which any update to Irrlicht is wrapped. Although it suffers from the same "Uncompeteness" of MiniB3D, the underlying engine (Irrlicht), is/seems complete.

@Artic, Its not that I dont think having OpenGL or directX is wrong, I just dont think that MiniB3D is comparable to the SDK. And that any wrapper that used them both would have such speed difference problems, and incompleteness issues in MiniB3D, (or in the sdk if you are useing Kleptos version), that its not a viable solution to package them together.

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#28]
Ok, I've cooled off a bit.

No, H&K, I won't accuse you of trolling. You're not anymore. You're right that it shouldn't be done yet. But, what I meant was that eventually, when MiniB3D gets up to speed with the B3DSDK with stuff like texture buffers and such (which could happen at some point) it would be good, for me anyway, to write a wrapper for them together, like with GL and DX Max2D.

And I personally wasn't angry about your opinion at all. I respect your opinion. I just didn't like the tone you used at first to voice it.