Control Lag Issues

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Control Lag Issues

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#1]
Could the people suffering any control lag please post their system specs here.

Avon(Posted 2007) [#2]
On my work machine I suffer control lag with Mark's "castle" and "xfighter" demos, and even worse with the "grass" demo, but no lag with Si's "fps". Everything runs fine on my home laptop. I will edit this and post my work machine specs tomorrow.

Avon(Posted 2007) [#3]
Ok, my work machine specs are:

AMD Sempron 3200+ (1.8 GHz)
480MB RAM
32MB VIA/S3G DeltaChrome IGP Graphics Card (Shared Memory)
Windows XP Home SP2

Maybe the graphics card is the culprit... I will try and find updated drivers for it to test.

Avon(Posted 2007) [#4]
I will try and find updated drivers for it to test
Unfortunately, it seems that the graphics card is obsolete. The latest drivers (v 6.14.10.38) I could find are dated 27/01/06!

The control lag persists though, albeit it only with certain demos, which is odd. I'll investigate further tomorrow, if I get a chance.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#5]
I get sticky keys on castle demo. Sometimes Markio will carry on running.

Usually after ramming several keys at once. Si's FPS demo has way too much inertia, but I think thats intentional.

amd athlon 64 3800+
Ati x1900XT
WinXP

Latest drivers for everythig.

Avon(Posted 2007) [#6]
I get sticky keys on castle demo. Sometimes Markio will carry on running.

My problem is that I'll press a key, and then maybe up to half a second later the program will respond! I've not had a chance to check it out further today, but when I do I'll post more information.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#7]
Sounds like you're hitting that buffered issue where the graphics driver buffers several frames ahead... so you're seeing what happened in the past.

To test this, move back and forth and jiggle quickly then do nothing.

If nothing happens then it does your actions later, it means you are the victim of the driver buffering too many frames.

Avon(Posted 2007) [#8]
Sounds like you're hitting that buffered issue where the graphics driver buffers several frames ahead... so you're seeing what happened in the past.

To test this, move back and forth and jiggle quickly then do nothing.

If nothing happens then it does your actions later, it means you are the victim of the driver buffering too many frames.

That's exactly it! Where do I find more information on this "buffered issue"?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#9]
You need to contact simon armstrong as this is an issue best solved within the blitz3d sdk dll.

Avon(Posted 2007) [#10]
You need to contact simon armstrong

Hmm... I'm still waiting for a reply to the last e-mail I sent him, a week ago.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=70248