Unicode?

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Unicode?

popcade(Posted 2007) [#1]
As Dev/VC/PB/BMX supports unicode natively, can B3DSDK render unicode correctly, I want to know if B3DSDK is i18n in mind, as previous can't render Unicode, and even with the FastText plugin it can't draw the correct font, that's a pain in B3D.

Anyone tested with the unocode thingy?

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#2]
Wide char versions of all string based commands was planned for initial release but unfortunately I ran over time with hardware testing.

There was also the issue of more easily going with utf8 or url-encoding instead meaning no additions to the const char * interface.

With languages like blitzmax where wide chars are default I think the first options will be the one.

Also, the bbText command should currently include dx7sdk documented warning about the use of Windows GDI commands being a nono when optimizing for hardware acceleration.

So for win win you'll need a bitmap font engine, which I'm sure there are a few to pick from and which already hopefully provide some unicode support.

popcade(Posted 2007) [#3]
Any way to make it work like Max2D's font engine, which utilized FreeType well and has mery small impact on speed?

I'll try a Unicode Bitmap Font solution first which I originally converted from Cipher, I hope it'll work...