Granular Design...

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Granular Design...

popcade(Posted 2007) [#1]
Since BRL decide to release B3DSDK, why you need to carry a 1MB DLL for some function you don't need, I really think the design like "use what you need" can reduce the size well, for example:

b3d_render.dll
b3d_input.dll
b3d_mixer.dll
b3d_network.dll

And to be honest... strip the MD2/BSP support as external lib should be better as there'll be issue if user really used those functions.

Personally I thinks this is a stupid suggestion and'll be flammed, I just want to say something and I'll shup up now :|

TheRalf(Posted 2007) [#2]
1. Not a stupid suggestion

2. I guess it would probably be too much work splitting up those functions into many DLLs

3. Most people probably don't want 4-10 DLLs in their directory I guess

So I think it would be cool to have this feature but it's not badly needed.

popcade(Posted 2007) [#3]
It's true when I use SDL, I still think it's a bit annoying, so is OGRE(which is real DLL bloat).

I like clean design too IMHO, didn'y buy B3DSDK yet, but I guess there's no static version....

_33(Posted 2007) [#4]
In the world of 500GB HDDs, 2GB ram, etc, why do you absolutely need to poke at this? There will only be ONE copy of that DLL anyways. And I suppose you post in all the other forums about all the other various DLLs to make them granular, such as BASS? Newton, etc etc?

popcade(Posted 2007) [#5]
>post in all the other forums about all the other various DLLs to make them granular, such as BASS? Newton, etc etc?

Not bad idea, but I think convert the existing decls is easier, and more economic.

BTW, I'll looking into the MoleBox compatibility as soon as I bought it. Since it's Windows only, MoleBox is a good solution to use.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#6]
Not bad idea, but I think convert the existing decls is easier, and more economic.

Er.. converting a DECLS has absolutely no effect on what is in the DLL. You're only going to be able to do that if you have the source to the DLL, and I don't think that's the case with BASS, is it?