Performance

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Performance

GfK(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hello.

Just wondering if there's anything to be gained (in speed terms) from using this product and BlitzMax, instead of just using Blitz3D.

What are the main differences? Is it any faster than Blitz3D?

I'm not having a go - I'm pleased there's finally an official 3D engine for BlitzMax. I'd just like to know if its worth it.

Oh, one more thing. What about its future? Will it be cross platform eventually and support OpenGL?

Xaron(Posted 2007) [#2]
No future I guess, no cross platform. It's just the plain DX7 BB3D as a dll...

Regards - Xaron

Avon(Posted 2007) [#3]
Is it any faster than Blitz3D?

If I get a chance, I'll run a comparison tonight (I have B3D, BMax and now the SDK).

Filax(Posted 2007) [#4]
I find that the FPS is better (with the same code
blitz3D=>blitzmax). I see the differences on my
project Tachyon Storm. I don't now why ? maybe
OOP speed the rendering ?

Here is the same code and placement, first screen = blitzmax
second screen = blitz3D. The FPS is not the same :) but i
like it :)

Rendering is bloomed for information.

Knotz(Posted 2007) [#5]
What is it with French and beautiful graphics?

big10p(Posted 2007) [#6]
Yeah, looks pretty lush. Not bad for a 'useless' DX7 engine, eh? :P

I suspect if there is any speed increase in the SDK, it comes from the tweaks skidracer did to it, which aren't (yet) in Blitz3D. I'm thinking particularly of the object sorting to minimize state changes.

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#7]
cool!! so is also faster!!
and looks exactly like b3D!

(and great screenshots anyway :D )

Armor Nick(Posted 2007) [#8]
Man, I think I'm going to buy this stuff as soon as I got more money :D

Anyways, I don't know for sure, but I think C++ just makes faster executables because it is closer to assembly language. And I heard that B3D's filesizes are bigger too.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#9]
big10p : I agree ! The show/hide polygons optimization is
better than blitz3D, and the bug with alphaed textures
(zorder) is removed :) (three years to get that :) many
thanks skid for this stuff...)

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#10]
I wonder if those changes will ever make it into regular B3D? I hope so.

Maybe SkidRacer could give us his view on the situation. Will updates, i.e. bug fixes made to the Blitz3D SDK make it to standard Blitz3D at some point? In other words will the two products be updated in tandem?

Jason.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#11]
I'd like to know that, too, QuickSilva.

TheRalf(Posted 2007) [#12]
Stencil Shadows =) Shouldn't that be possible? =)

Avon(Posted 2007) [#13]
skidracer's comment re: B3D updates:

Me and James pushed Mark hard to release this and he caved and gave me the contract to package it up. I did take it upon myself to fix a few things in the engine which will hopefully find their way into blitz3d199 (there were 99 free updates on the wall, 99 free updates on the wall...) so think of the SDK subsidising blitz3d development if you are still bitter.

From this thread:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=70135

_33(Posted 2007) [#14]
Avon, neat! That's some good news right there. And I hope skidracer and Mark are good friends :D.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#15]
Ah. Cheers.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#16]
which will hopefully find their way into blitz3d199 (there were 99 free updates on the wall, 99 free updates on the wall...)
Except it started at 1.64. So, 35 free updates on the wall... ;)

Umm.... so judging by those screenshots above we're talking about a 50% increase in execution speed, right (52 to 78fps)?

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#17]
Thanks for that Avon.

Jason.

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#18]
Most games I think in blitz3d will be spending 80%+ time calling either UpdateWorld or RenderWorld so optimizations from switching language of your project is going to be pretty hard to spot, unless you have something like a complex bb based verlet engine in your code which will get a good boost when ported to bmx.

The tweaking I did to improve rendering speed were based on benchmarking the clone army featured in the animtest (and the leading bug in blitz3d bug reports) where ATI cards were stalling on cloned b3d models and ATI and NVidia both showed significant performance boosts when primitives were grouped in an extra sorted list to minimize state changes when using multi surface .x type animated robots.

sswift(Posted 2007) [#19]
"What is it with French and beautiful graphics?"

Beautiful graphics, no underpants, the universe tends to balance things out. :-)

SLotman(Posted 2007) [#20]
OMG, I cant wait for B3D1.99! Less state changes and alpha z-ordering... please make it available asap!!!

/me stops begging now ;)

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#21]
Yes it would be great if BRL could manage to keep the two products updated in tandem.

Jason.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#22]
Here is a small demo of the Tachyon engine, the SDK seem
capricious with Windows 2003 ? Arrows=Direction/ Click=
Shoot.

http://www.blitz3dfr.com/tachyon_projet/Tachyon-Test.rar

MCP(Posted 2007) [#23]
Filax - nice demo! The scale is amazing - well done! :)

Jazz(Posted 2007) [#24]
That is gorgeous! :)

degac(Posted 2007) [#25]
mmm

AppName: tachyon player-hdr.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 0002ae22

I have this error...the screen is black and all the desktop is 'frozen', I can not switch with ALT+TAB between applications...

Spec: AthlonX2 3800 1 Gb RAm, GeForce6600, WinXP

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#26]
I dont get an error but the speed is nice.

I don't think the speed loss is worth the "HDR" though. You might get better results baking vertex colours. It might even be faster to use vert colours in real time, especially as blitzmax is doing the calculations.

CoderLaureate(Posted 2007) [#27]
Wow! Filax that's excellent.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#28]
Very Cool, Filax. I get 110 FPS.

Uncle(Posted 2007) [#29]
Tried on two machine here. The first just went black for a few seconds then closed. On the second machine I windows problem popup and then closes. Its a real shame I wanted to see this, plus it doesnt bode well for distributing games written with the SDK if you cant be sure it runs on a lot a machine.

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#30]
AppName: tachyon player-hdr.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 0002ae22

The above happened to me too. Screen went black for a few seconds then locked out the desktop/taskbar (although I was able to recover by ending the demo via Task Manager). :o(

I am hoping it's a problem with my version of ntdll.dll rather than the SDK...

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#31]
Lowest results 249 fps and 939 fps
Highest results 262 fps and 1434 fps

Barney

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#32]
when I tried the Tachyon demo on my PC, the screen went black. for about 7 seconds I saw a 'busy' mousepointer, then it changed to the normal mousepointer. Nothing more happened after that.

Eventually alt-tabbed out of it and was able to kill the task.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (dual 2.4GHz), 2 GB, ATI X1650XT with 256MB