Out now!

Archives Forums/Blitz3D SDK Programming/Out now!

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#1]
Read all about it here!

Sledge(Posted 2007) [#2]
[/a /Products/blitz3dsdk.php]here[/a]!

Proof positive that you don't post enough.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#3]
It says my sdk Reg code (from share it), is in use already. Do I really have to Email you about this, or can I take it that its a problem for lots of ppl, and that you are already sorting it out?

Edit: That sounds really curt, sorry about that.

_33(Posted 2007) [#4]
If we own Blitz3d, do we have to pay the full 100$ for the SDK?

Cronos(Posted 2007) [#5]
I can use full Blitz3D commands In Blitzmax ???

tanks mark , SDK cool :-)

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#6]

It says my sdk Reg code (from share it), is in use already.

Oops - I think that's the code I used to test things out with earlier!

Please try again now.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#7]
same question as _33 here.

(much like B+ and max_GUI)

if so i think i might buy blitzmax

popcade(Posted 2007) [#8]
>If we own Blitz3d, do we have to pay the full 100$ for the SDK?

B3DSDK is another product... you get 6+ programming interfaces for only 100, is already a big discount.

I'm planning to buy it next month coz I want to se if it'll get some updates.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#9]
you should sell the blitz3d module on its own(and give blitz3d users a discount or free because they already bought it basicly) just so people can 'combine' the syntax of blitz3d wih max... or heres an idea.. bundle the b3d mod with Blitz3D... or add it under Accounts -> product updates.

i'm interested in blitzmax, esp. if it comes with an offical 3D module, i looked at miniB3D and thought (wouldnt it be great if blitz3d could be imported to blitzmax)

and here it is, but i don't want to buy blitz3D AGAIN just to use it in blitzmax.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#10]
give blitz3d users a discount or free because they already bought it basicly

I like the idea of just bundling the BlitzMax module on its own for developers who rarely use other languages, but we have to remember Blitz Research is a company and it *has* to make money. They can't (and we shouldn't expect them to) keep giving things away for free.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#11]
well, it would give ME a reason why to buy blitzmax.. plus, they made the money from them buying blitz3d in the first place. its the same product basicly.

just imported to blitzmax. if pure blitzmaxers want it, they can pay for blitz3d or the module in this case.

but someone who bought blitz3d shouldnt have to pay for it twice.

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#12]
I own Max and B3D... I don't understand what advantage it would give me (considering I don't program in any languages accept Max and B3D).

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#13]
i can see where you are coming from for buying it for C++ ect ect.. but not the module...

Xaron(Posted 2007) [#14]
Hmm... for C/C++/C# users this isn't very useful. There are better options that even don't cost anything. Why would someone who knows C++ would like to use a DX7 engine? ;)

Regards - Xaron

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#15]
...since B3D SDK will let peoples work with Blitz3D within BlitzMax and PureBasic...does that mean that I will be able to developing games for MAC and Linux too, regarding PureBasic cross platform nature??

Xaron(Posted 2007) [#16]
No, because the B3D SDK uses DX7.

Regards - Xaron

H&K(Posted 2007) [#17]
For the love of ....

Ok there was a posibility that it was going to be free for ppl who already bought Gloom or whatever, but as soon as that wasnt the case, it wasnt the case.

If you look at (say) the DGSDK, if you buy DB, you still have to pay for DGSDK C+ and you have to pay again for the c# version.

Dont get me wrong, Id rather not pay $100, and Im sure we are all being ruined by Microsofts Free VS and XNA. However, no matter how stupid it is, I have built a brand loyalty, and my $100 buys me the continued right (huh), to moan at the developer.

Now, if it is basicly the same product as B3D, and you have B3D, then feal free to use B3D with Bmax instead of the SDK, there is nothing in your liecence for either product stoping you from doing that, (in fact someone did), as long as you only sell/market your finished game.

PS> @ Mark Yep Keys Fine now

dynaman(Posted 2007) [#18]
It has the ability to render to window or a control - that makes it worth the cost, for me at any rate.

Xaron(Posted 2007) [#19]
Hmm... even Irrlicht has this ability - without any costs. ;)

Regards - Xaron

big10p(Posted 2007) [#20]
Please stop trolling, Xaron - you're starting to get on my...

If the SDK isn't for you then fine, don't buy it.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#21]
What Big10p said.

dynaman(Posted 2007) [#22]
> Hmm... even Irrlicht has this ability - without any costs. ;)

True, but *I* don't like Irrlicht. If you like then you have my blessing to use it all you like. :)

Xaron(Posted 2007) [#23]
Yep you're right. I'm sorry...

Regards - Xaron

Daz(Posted 2007) [#24]
I love the ease of Blitz3d and I love C# .NET. The ability of mixing the rendering abilities of Blitz 3d with .NET form controls opens up so much for me, especially in terms of the developing level editors or simple tools.

The ability to also integrate BB3D SDK and BlitzMax is just another bonus and opens up another avenue of development.

So, personally, for me to have this flexibility means it is money very well spent Others may be happy to just stick with the BlitzMax/MiniB3D combination or just native Blitz3d.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#25]
I'm kind of hoping that now that there is this SDK some time can go in to getting miniB3D up to the same standards as Blitz3D.

That way You could easily develope your game with DX7 B3D Mod using Mac and then be able to just use the same code to compile a GL version for max and linux using minib3d.

You'll have the XPlatform that you've been wanting.

Xzider(Posted 2007) [#26]
This sounds awesome, though I cant afford to just buy it right now, I was hoping for a user discount or some thing like that, I knew it wouldnt happen. Anyways, keep up the good work Mark.

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#27]
Let me rephrase what I said earlier: What features does it add to Max that B3D can't do?

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#28]
nothing, its simply combining B3D's syntax with maxs... so you can use all b3d commands in max...

though i hope he will make a discount or free for the module, for b3d users that have blitzmax.

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#29]
Okay, I get it now :)

Azathoth(Posted 2007) [#30]
Whats the difference between this and MiniB3D feature wise?

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2007) [#31]
Fully Blitz3D Support in BlitzMax if you have wrote a bb[command] to [command] library/wrapper. MiniB3D is beaten from creator of blitz3d -.-

Azathoth(Posted 2007) [#32]
I mean what can Blitz3DSDK do that MiniB3D can't?

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2007) [#33]
Dx9 or 10 update for B3D or BlitzMax would be nice instead of trying to sell old hat Dx7 engine nuff said.

siread(Posted 2007) [#34]
@Azathoth: The sdk is about 10 times faster* than minib3d.

*A very rough estimate.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#35]
Mark, any word on if your going to release Blitz3D module for blitzmax for free to existing blitz3d users? if not i'll just stick with blitz3d, because i don't feel like buying it AGAIN just to have it work in blitzmax.

Kev(Posted 2007) [#36]
I did not buy Blitz3DSDK, i see Blitz3D SDK as little more than a blitz3d port to blitzmax? well thats for me only. why!

ok i do code c/c++ however i like to do little in c/c++ if i can, taking on a project under c/c++ is a big task blitz3d is better for my taste i mean why else did i buy it but for its basic syntax and ease of use!

now take blitzmax cool oop, and basic syntax well its about the best basic+ if you can call it that ;) i have ever used. well all said i have been with blitz since blitz2 on the amiga. and am completely satisfied with marks products.

for me though it feels like mark was pushed into this, the delay in delivering max3d and having blitz3d there for porting this in turn keeps the community happy well at least some of the community. well dont get me wrong im not mark so dont now for sure if this is the case.

finaly if the community wants Blitz3DSDK for blitzmax and mark was willing then why not? theres extra sales, including thoses that will come for the SDK from other programming langues.

kev

degac(Posted 2007) [#37]
I agree that BRL has all the reasons of this world to sell what they want - and I (we) can have all the reasons of this universe to not buy it (or other BRL products like B+ for example) - none is obliged!

Blitz3d (and the derivate SDK) is a stable&full working 3d renderer - so I'm hoping too for extra sales for BRL and maybe for new users.
If I'm not a Blitz3d user probably I will be tempted to buy the SDK...for the only reason to have an official 3d module for Bmax (even limited to windows platform).

Let's see what's the next step! Maybe we will have a collateral effect: many new user (coming from other languages) will require other features...

popcade(Posted 2007) [#38]
If BRL tweak MiniB3D to fit the B3DSDK style, I'll buy both, forget Max3D please :)

JonasL(Posted 2007) [#39]
This is an interesting product that we would seriously consider adding to our set of BRL tools. The price is nothing to quibble about. If the SDK is as good as Blitz3D it is a fair price considering it is a tested and well-designed library. Whether it is competitive is Blitz’s business.

I must admit that while I’m a Blitzhead, I do most of my programming in C++ and PHP. We own both Blitz3D and BlitzMax + MaxGUI, but so far only use them for game prototyping and tools. I think the primary sales point for BlitzMax is that it takes the pain out of cross-platform development. This is a point often missed by third-party developers. When BlitzMax has a 3D engine with solid MacOS X support I think it would be great for real game development, but until then I have a hard time convincing my teammates that it is anything but a great prototyping tool.

I think BlitzMax can be used for professional programming, but despite being a Blitzhead I acknowledge shortcomings that would have to be fixed. Like PHP4, the BlitzMax language lacks support for some important object-oriented (OOP) features that makes it hard to use design patterns and other OOP methods. With PHP that was fixed in PHP5. I think it is a sound design decision to drop a lot of the features found in C++, but still some could have been included without making it harder for beginners.

From the top of my head I would like to see:

* access specification (public, protected, private)

* import_once(), include_once() command (ability to include a file only once, which is PHPs way of avoiding an infinite loop as files include each other). BlitzMax makes it hard to keep each type (class) in a separate file.

* Reflection API, because unit testing is very hard without it and you really need unit testing to write professional code. I don’t mind if it only works in debug build.

* Ability to pass arguments to New() or a real constructor method.

* Blitz3D MacOS X (OpenGL) support (perhaps rolled into the SDK).

/Jonas

Hotcakes(Posted 2007) [#40]
* access specification (public, protected, private)

Public and Private are there.

* import_once(), include_once() command (ability to include a file only once, which is PHPs way of avoiding an infinite loop as files include each other). BlitzMax makes it hard to keep each type (class) in a separate file.

Max has this already.

* Reflection API, because unit testing is very hard without it and you really need unit testing to write professional code. I don’t mind if it only works in debug build.

Coming to an update near you... read Mark's worklog.

* Blitz3D MacOS X (OpenGL) support (perhaps rolled into the SDK).

Not feasible - requires a 100% rewrite, hence MiniB3D.

When BlitzMax has a 3D engine with solid MacOS X support I think it would be great for real game development, but until then I have a hard time convincing my teammates that it is anything but a great prototyping tool.

Umm... so why not use whatever 3D engine your teammates are using then? If you can use it in C++, you can use it in Max.

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#41]
The platform specific part of blitz3dsdk design is well abstracted and I was originally using mingw/gcc with the code I forked from 197 I think it was so compiler issues have all been solved.

If the SDK is a hit (on my score card that thats anything more than two decent games come from it) I think some new development in this area may be warranted.

The priority currently is to get the DX7 platform invincibility level from 8 to 9.

Hotcakes(Posted 2007) [#42]
Interesting 'news'.

No doubt some people will assume this is promised now. ;]

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#43]
Public and Private are there.

That's misleading. They're there, but they don't do the same thing.

* import_once(), include_once() command (ability to include a file only once, which is PHPs way of avoiding an infinite loop as files include each other). BlitzMax makes it hard to keep each type (class) in a separate file - Max has this already.

In what way does Max already have include_once. Import_once, it has, in fact that's the only kind of import there is. But in what way is there an include_once?

H&K(Posted 2007) [#44]
But in what way is there an include_once?
Well, in the same way it has Import once, it sort of has include once, well when it comes to cyclic includes. It just doesnt happen, cos the IDE wont let you.

Fair enough it lets you include the same file more than once linerly, but all you have to do to stop that, is exactly what you would do in c++ (Well VS6), and that is define a Const as one of the first lines of code

i.e. Const MyInclude:int = true
(Of so VS uses that #if defined thing, but that what Bmax does for every const anyway)
OK, so now I have to manualy go and remove the duplicate includes, but once you start doing that, it should be an import anyway.

Re Public and Private, even if they stayed the sameish as now, it would be nice if they could be used inside tyes, cos really they are useless atm